1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gregg Allman's new liver

Discussion in 'Rock Lounge' started by Gearjammer, Jun 24, 2010.

1. annie

annie metal maniac

Gregg Allman was on the waiting list since 2007. I think that three years is not exactly being "bumped up". And I agree with Magic. Cirrhosis of the live is cirrhosis of the liver, no matter how you got it. It is 100% debilitating and can progress to cancer and death.

2. Dave78

Dave78 Dave's not here, man

If Gregg is sick, then hopefully that new liver of his will, once again, find a good home.

But I'm not going to begrudge Allman either for wanting, requesting and receiving a new liver. Sure, being a celebrity can influence your position on the waiting list compared to others, but then again maybe they just simply found a match that wasn't compatible with anyone else in the area.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  3. Sunny

Sunny Settled down at last and very happy.

How many people here carrry an organ donor card? If something happens to me they can have any little bit of me they find useful :D

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  4. ladyislingering

ladyislingering retired

Meeeeee.

Mine are basically worthless but anyone can have anything from my messed-up corpse if I happen to get into a vehicular squabble. :grinthumb

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Devout Heathen

I think you may have misunderstood part of my post. To my knowledge, Allman's sickness is solely his liver problem. I was referring to Mickey Mantle. He recieved a liver, but was already sick with cancer, which ultimately killed him shortly after recieving his new liver.

6. annie

annie metal maniac

As I said above, waiting for three years is not raising his position on the list.

7. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

I do. It is actually marked directly on my driver's license and it is a part of my living will, as well. I am not only an organ donor, but a tissue donor to boot :)

I am also on the register for bone marrow donors. (although they haven't asked me to donate yet)

8. Sunny

Sunny Settled down at last and very happy.

There should be lots more people like you Magic :grinthumb

I give blood regularly but I've never thought of tissue I just assumed that when my time is up they would use whatever they need including tissue. I should also register as a bone marrow donor too.

9. Dave78

Dave78 Dave's not here, man

Boy, I sure did read your post wrong last night. Man, I gotta get me some of that Ginko Baloobi stuff.

And, yes, I'm a donor as well. If I get hit by a bus tomorrow, they can grab my liver, lungs, heart, kidney, eyes, tissue, blood, whatever. I don't smoke or drink so my stuff should be good to go for another 30+ years or so. :grinthumb

10. annie

annie metal maniac

Unfortunately, none of my organs - heart, kidneys, lungs, pancreas - are working properly and I have had Hepatitis B in the past, so donating mine would do more harm than good.