great albums crap sound.

foreverblue

Reaction score
Wow are you sure there isn't something wrong with your Zeppelin catalog? I consider Zeppelin's collection to be quite possibly the best sounding records of the 70s, due in part to the masterful production of a Mr. Jimmy Page. Clean and succinct, with studio precision, but always retaining a volatile, live feel and a raw rock n roll flavor.

But hey maybe you'll disagree with my choice and we can be even, lol. :-D

My pick is NEVERMIND. Great songs. Absolutely awful, awful tinny, stale, unlistenable production. And I don't even understand why the production sucks so much because that same guy did good with L7 in that same year. Maybe the new remaster will be good.
no.the only thing wrong with my zeppelin catalogue is that i dont have their post 1990 releases. maybe the remastered editions sound better.

foreverblue

Reaction score
Peter Green was the producer on most of Zeppelin albums, Jimmy only took credits. Just to clarify. :p

well peter green screwed up i guess... or maybe they just rushed the post production.

i read that bonhams drums on levee and in my time of dying were recorded in exactly the same place. i love that sound... and should have been used on other material.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
To answer the question Foreverblue, it's all about poor quality craftsmanship as I see it.

If the Beatles can record "Abbey Road", which blows away almost every other album of it's era and even today sounds fabulous then there is No Excuse for the crap that bands/labels have lobbed in the marketplace.

The continual remasters...I have a thread for that already and everyone knows how I feel.:nw:

One band that I always wished had a much fuller sound, is Blue Oyster Cult. Especially "Secret Treaties" and "Fire Of Unknown Origin" such great albums and I love them but the production values were way below what they should have been.

You can add almost every Ted Nugent album I own to the list, the remaster of "Double Live Gonzo" my favorite was a waste of money, I really can't tell much of a difference between the two.:dunno:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Peter Green was the producer on most of Zeppelin albums, Jimmy only took credits. Just to clarify. :p

Peter Green?? From Fleetwood Mac?? That would be the awesomest thing ever! I've never heard anything about that though.

Peter Grant was the executive producer but he's just the band's manager, I highly doubt he had anything to do with the actual producing.

Took the liberty of researching it a bit and all the sources I can find say that indeed Jimmy Page was Zeppelin's producer fair and square. But that they also worked in conjunction with engineers, perhaps most notably Eddie Kramer of Jimi Hendrix fame.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
ok let me clarify what i'm trying to say. i'm not talking about the creative quality . i'm talking about sound quality.

for example. led zeppelin iv's sound quality is atrocious, compared to say "sticky fingers" or "who's next" from the same year. can somebody explain to me why?
i've notice most of zeppelins albums have poor sound quality. listen to your cd of "houses" and compare it "sabbath bloody sabbath" you'll see what i mean.

the reason is i just recieved a new mp3 player for my coming 43'rd birthday, and every time i listen to it each individual instrument is enhanced. i was listening to the beatles "drive my car" and it was amazing to hear the piano bit soo clearly.

note:
this is nothing against zeppelin, i'm a huge zeppelin fan

I'm not sure I follow you Foreverblue...I rarely listen to an MP3, even on my Sansa I play FLAC or APE files instead, the quality is much better than MP3.

As far as Zeppelin goes, they weren't the greatest sounding albums from a technical point of view, but I found a lot of the Stones recordings to be much worse for production values.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Peter Green?? From Fleetwood Mac?? That would be the awesomest thing ever! I've never heard anything about that though.

Peter Grant was the executive producer but he's just the band's manager, I highly doubt he had anything to do with the actual producing.

Took the liberty of researching it a bit and all the sources I can find say that indeed Jimmy Page was Zeppelin's producer fair and square. But that they also worked in conjunction with engineers, perhaps most notably Eddie Kramer of Jimi Hendrix fame.
He had, on the very first pressings he was on credits as a main producer (Led Zeppelin III for instance). But he was kind enough to put there Jimmy Page later.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
He had, on the very first pressings he was on credits as a main producer (Led Zeppelin III for instance). But he was kind enough to put there Jimmy Page later.

Who did? Peter Green, Peter Grant, Eddie Kramer? I'm pretty sure Jimmy's producer work is genuine, I've never seen it questioned once before. I've also never heard of Peter Grant being a producer before.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online