Grace Potter and The Nocturnals

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
grace_potter_and_the_nocturnals.jpg
grace_potter.jpg

This is one of those rare groups that I can consider fairly local talent as they come from my neighboring state of Vermont. The band formed in Waitsfield and started performing at a place called the Java Barn in St. Lawrence college. The way I discovered them was I had an Assistant manager I got along with really good at work and we always talked music. I introduced her to stuff, made her music mixes and we always talked about going to see a concert. She told me about one that was going to feature the aforementioned band and the hook for me was that Sister Hazel and the former front man for the Verve Pipe were going to open. I'd never heard of Grace before but she was very high on her/them. So me, her and her husband and another friend of theirs went. Grace was great and came off like Janis was transported through a time machine to that Vermont stage. I ended up buying the at the time most current album after the show:

This Is Somewhere
2009122913133187e.jpg

Hear are some of my favorite tracks from the album:

Mastermind

Falling And Flying

Ah Mary

Big White Gate

Here's a badass Neil Young cover Grace was the vocalist for:

Grace Potter w/ Joe Satriani/Steve Kimrock/Reed Mathis/Willy Waldman/Stephen Perkins-Cortez The Killer

And here's the newest song off of the latest album:

Gracepotter_400.jpg

Paris (Ooh La La)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Not bad...my favorite cut, believe it or not was the remake of Cortez The Killer. I played that twice. :heheh:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I remember when Grace's self titled album came out last year (I believe) and "Paris (Ooh La La)" got a whole lot of airplay....on country stations of all places. :think: I suppose it's kind of understandable even though Grace is so rock and roll since I can hear the blues and folk and other influences mixed into her music and it really makes me realize about how radio country today is much less country and more so farm flavored other things...or at least that's what I think.

Anyway, I only have Grace's self titled album so far but after hearing so much from her on the radio since GOOD local DJ's give her quite a bit of respect that's something I will need to rectify at one point or another. Here are a few of my favorites from the one album I have:

(This song build up so intensely in the last 2 minutes)

(I really dig the reggae groove of this song and the harmonica)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Yeah, Garrett. Grace is a total babe. :D

s032311-gracepotter.jpg

Not to mention she has a bit of a dirty voice with her "uh"s and squeaks in some songs. ;)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Cosmic, thanks for the bump! I saw Grace in concert without hearing a note of her music and she was already a big name in the area considering they were locally bred. I didn't like her as much as the couple I saw then with but I've grown to like them more and more and actually prefer the old stuff over the new stuff. :)

Garrett, I can see you like her! She's full of Blues and Soul! :cheers2

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Looks like you and I disagree on that Sooty. I've since picked up all three of Grace's albums and her self title album is my favorite. That album seems the most refined and together whereas the earlier two are more raw.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.