Gordon Lightfoot (Official Thread)

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
"Fitzgerald" is nothing less than epic in the annals of popular songwriting.Not only a great story sung with appropriate passion,but lengthy without being drawn out or boring,kinda like Arlo Guthrie's perennial Thanksgiving favorite "Alice's Restaurant".I was a bit disappointed once when I bought a Lightfoot greatest hits called "Gord's Gold",which actually didn't contain "The Wreck" because it was released the year before "Fitzgerald's 1976 release.No true dilemma,however,becasue even without it,you still have a strong collection of highly thought provoking folk material.Good ol' Gordy still tours,God bless him for keeping the spirit of his writings an ongoing thing,at least for those who don't find Pitbull musically enlightening..........

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
"Fitzgerald" is nothing less than epic in the annals of popular song writing. Not only a great story sung with appropriate passion, but lengthy without being drawn out or boring, kinda like Arlo Guthrie's perennial Thanksgiving favorite "Alice's Restaurant." I was a bit disappointed once when I bought a Lightfoot greatest hits called "Gord's Gold," which actually didn't contain "The Wreck" because it was released the year before "Fitzgerald's 1976 release. cNo true dilemma, however, because even without it, you still have a strong collection of highly thought provoking folk material. Good ol' Gordy still tours, God bless him for keeping the spirit of his writings an on going thing, at least for those who don't find Pitbull musically enlightening..........

I knew it was a song about a true story, but I never knew all the details, so I Googled it.

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

It's interesting. I wonder though, why it was called the SS Edmund Fitzgerald, and not the USS Edmund Fitzgerald?

Metal Health

Reaction score
If you listen to the lyrics or better yet, look them up, you will find that it is an interesting story. I looked into it and did some research on the actual boat. They found the boat a few days after it sunk and it was still in one piece. They still have not been able to pull it out because of the size of the boat. They even found a dead body. However, through all of the research and exploration that has been done, all they have is many theories on why the ship even sunk. Very interesting song and a great piece of history.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
Wow, I just read that Gordon Lightfoot is Canadian. I did not know that. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online