That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
classicrockrevisited.com

GLENN HUGHES UP FOR DEEP PURPLE MARK III REUNION
Brought To You By VH1’s Dave Basner

Whitesnake singer David Coverdale, who of course was also the vocalist for Deep Purple Mark III, told us recently that for the right opportunity, like a benefit concert, he would reunite with Jon Lord, Ian Paice, Ritchie Blackmore and Glenn Hughes. When we spoke to Glenn this week, he said he’d be up for a Deep Purple Mark III reunion too and filled us in on why.

“Yeah, absolutely, for the simple task of this purpose: When I was in the band in the ‘70s, let’s just say I joined the band a very bright-eyed and bushy-tailed Northern chap like David and I left the band, very sort of, let’s just say I was overserved at the bar. And I’ve made my amends with everybody but I’d like to have a jam with the guys again as a sober man and somebody who knows how to deal with his life on a daily basis. That’s the way I’d like to do it.”

The guitarist explained there is another reason he wants to reunite.

“And the fans. I think Purple Mark III is the last reunion of the iconic bands from the ‘70s. You know, The Who have come back and even Zeppelin did one show. So Mark III would be a huge… for the fans it would be monumental. And you know, I like to please the fans, they’ve been great.”

So what’s the hold-up? It turns out Glenn has tried before to get the band together to no avail.

“It all depends on if we can get [guitarist] Ritchie [Blackmore] to the table and I’m not sure if that’s possible. But David and I, we chew the fat over it from time to time. We had a big thing about four years ago where we tried to put it together but we couldn’t get everybody to the table and we didn’t want to have that weight on our shoulders, it’s just too big of a weight. And there’s lots of people involved and lots of employment and stuff so we just decided we’d move on because we were spending a lot of time trying to get it together and it didn’t sort of pan out.”

For now, you can hear Glenn with his band Black Country Communion. The supergroup, which also features Jason Bonham, Joe Bonamassa and Derek Sherinian, release their sophomore album, 2, on June 14th.

Mk3_meadows.jpg

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Phahahahaha Glenn... he's in a different world. David will be touring to promote his new album, Paice is currently on tour with DP and Ritchie more likely will say "no" as he lives in medieval ages now. :heheh:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I don't see this happening now and probably ever. Ritchie is the one that they really need to convince to come back and I don't see that as likely to happen.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
The only reason I would consider it necessary (and I don't) is to do a service to any Deep Purple fans who want to hear the songs from that era of the band performed live again, at least by the original architects of those songs as opposed to an ex-member's solo project or some local cover/tribute band who happens to have that stuff in their setlist.

So yeah, it'd be good for those people who want to hear a group named "Deep Purple" play the songs from that version of the band again since Ian won't touch the material with a ten-foot pole. Otherwise there isn't much point in that group of people reuniting.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Been said by all of them already, it's always about Ritchie and always will be. He seems to be taking the Robert Plant road and is happy doing his own thing being in complete control.

I won't hold my breath waiting, besides I would just as soon have another Black Country Communion album to listen to anyway, rather than Hughes waste time and energy flogging a dead horse.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Been said by all of them already, it's always about Ritchie and always will be. He seems to be taking the Robert Plant road and is happy doing his own thing being in complete control.

I won't hold my breath waiting, besides I would just as soon have another Black Country Communion album to listen to anyway, rather than Hughes waste time and energy flogging a dead horse.

The consequence of that type of move is that anything the Coverdale/Hughes lineup does in the studio or on tour is actually going to generate less revenue (I think) than the Gillan lineup could, because Ian is more recognizable and popular in the Deep Purple universe than those other 2.

It will also piss off Gillan and confuse more casual Purple fans who don't necessarily know all of the guys who have been in and out of the band and mostly know Purple for the 70's stuff with Gillan.

It'd be like someone deciding to finally do a sequel to the old Batman movie storyline from the 80's and 90's (which ended with the Clooney movie) even though there has been a reboot and two movies with a newly revised storyline since then.

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
I would have imagined that this one got put to rest a few years ago when Lars started going on about playing drums for a reformed Mark III. :\

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
I imagine, how Gillan gets mad, if MK3 will meet at least one concert under the name of "Deep Purple"!2_sm.gif

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I imagine, how Gillan gets mad, if MK3 will meet at least one concert under the name of "Deep Purple"!2_sm.gif

If this particular reunion w/Hughes and Coverdale ever occured under the name "Deep Purple" while Gillan still had a pulse, somebody would be in "Deep Shit."

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online