GEOFF TATE Waiting On Settlement Over Rights to QUEENSRŸCHE Name

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Geoff Tate-fronted version of QUEENSRŸCHE took part in an interview and acoustic performance (Monday, January 13) at the studios of the 98.7 The Gater radio station in West Palm Beach, Florida.

Asked for an update on the legal battle between him and his former bandmates over the rights to the QUEENSRŸCHE name, Tate said: "Actually, we're in settlement talks right now. I hope it doesn't [go to trial]. I'm kind of hoping that it will all be settled by the end of the month."

Pressed on how he thinks it will all play out, Tate replied: "Either way, it's in my favor. So I'm just waiting for the paperwork to be dry."

Tate and his wife, Susan, QUEENSRŸCHE's former manager, filed a lawsuit in June 2012 asking the judge to award them the rights to the band's name in exchange for Tate paying Eddie Jackson (bass), Michael Wilton (guitar) and Scott Rockenfield (drums) the fair market value for their interests in the QUEENSRŸCHE companies. Wilton, Rockenfield and Jackson filed a countersuit against the Tates in which they accused Geoff of creative obstruction and violent behavior, and Susan Tate of questionable business practices.

While ruling against Tate, the presiding judge determined that there was no legal hurdle in Tate also using the name with an all-new lineup of musicians. "I don't see any reason that Mr. Tate can't have the benefit, if he gets other members, of whatever name he uses of using the brand," Superior Court Judge Carol A. Schapira said during the July 13, 2012 court hearing. "I think [doing that would be] inherently confusing, although I'm sure the market can get these things sorted out," she added.

Wilton, Rockenfield and Jackson last year accused Geoff Tate of "continu[ing] to harm the QUEENSRŸCHE brand" since the Tates' original lawsuit was filed in June 2012. In a court document, they wrote: "The newest self-titled QUEENSRŸCHE CD release by the [Todd La Torre-fronted version of the band] entered the U.S. charts at #23 and continues to get 9-out-of-10-star reviews and is still selling very well on a weekly basis around the globe. In comparison, Geoff Tate released his own QUEENSRŸCHE CD in April of [2013] titled 'Frequency Unknown' and depicted as F.U. on the cover, which entered the charts at #82, received very bad reviews around the world, and has slowed to almost no more weekly sales. [The Todd La Torre-fronted version of QUEENSRŸCHE's] new CD even outperformed the last two CDs of them with Geoff Tate, selling more in a month than the 'Dedicated to Chaos' CD has since its release in 2010, and charting much better than both that album and the previous one, 'American Soldier'. Thus, the return to the classic sound [Tate's former] bandmates have made with the new CD and live shows has been met with overwhelming success."

They added: "Geoff Tate also chose very poorly in hiring live musicians that have shown that they are not capable of representing the correct performances of the QUEENSRŸCHE music legacy, and he was constantly replacing them. He has been offering his low-quality version of QUEENSRŸCHE to the promoters at a much reduced rate, as low as $10,000 per night, when, in fact, [his former] bandmates have done their best to keep the authorized QUEENSRŸCHE at an average of well over $20,000 per show this entire year. However, this becomes harder and harder with Geoff Tate's sub-par band and cut-rate pricing that continues to be damaging to the QUEENSRŸCHE brand and legacy no matter who ultimately wins control after trial."

In an interview with The Oakland Press, Rockenfield said said that "negotiations are ongoing between Tate and the singer's former bandmates and "there's still time for anything to happen between now and [the start of the trial in January 2014]."

"I think our confidence is pretty high," Scott said. "There's a lot of legal stuff you have to deal with, but we just feel good and look at it as a light at the end of the tunnel and keep playing shows and making music. I think when you do that, the right decision will be made in time."

Read more at Geoff Tate Is 'Waiting For The Paperwork To Be Dry' On Settlement Over Rights To Queensr

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the name goes to Tate's band Queensryche are completely dead to me and will never release a good album again. The La Torre band is the real Queensryche to me and should continue to be with the name.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think Billy is right the band will win same as Pink Floyd when Roger was kicked out and the remaining majority of original members were allowed to keep the name. Of course there were some details about which songs could be performed that Roger kept the rights to but otherwise I feel Queensryche will end up with a similar settlement.

I still think the entire mess resembled a Marx Brothers sketch more than a professional split of an iconic band.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
If the name goes to Tate's band Queensryche are completely dead to me and will never release a good album again. The La Torre band is the real Queensryche to me and should continue to be with the name.

Dunno who is the real Queensryche. To some degree both sides deserve the name, but the band is definitely more capable of doing the name justice. Their last album was excellent, while Tate's Queensryche and solo album sucked!

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Geoff Tate has blown the right to the name with such shitty output over the last 3 releases and I include American Soldier as to me that one blew also. Not just that but the general douche vibe he gives off overall. Whereas the La Torre fronted band is more deserving for being able to put out really good music true to the Queensryche name in my opinion.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Either way, I just hope the settlement will put an end to Tate's endless rants on Blabbermouth etc. I am tired of listening to the guy, and Riff Raff, I do agree with ya, my reflection was more from a legal standpoint. I'm definitely on the band's side!

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
All those compositions raging against capitalist culture (including a full concept LP on the topic) and they end up squabbling in a court room, essentially over a corporate brand. I'm not naive enough to think that the music industry is different to any other but they didn't need to make it so public and so nasty. Record buyers are largely looking for either escapism or else a cathartic experience. We know that our favourite bands don't necessarily walk off stage high five then go on holiday together, but what does it say about a band's ideals if they spit at each other on stage, sack family members from the back room and subdivide into two less worthy versions of themselves. The Beatles ending was about as brutal as it gets with years of court room battles over the Apple brand, but they had the dignity to mask it. Hell there was even some worthwhile artistic output from the situation (Lyrics from John Lennon's God: " I don't believe in Beatles"). Queensryche? Appalling behaviour from a group of immature kiddies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Staff online

Members online