Gene Simmons stopped Eddie Van Halen

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
classicrockmagazine.com

Gene’s proud he told Eddie that quitting his own band would be a mistake – but they still recorded demos with guitarist’s brother Alex.

Gene Simmons is proud of what he told Eddie Van Halen when the guitarist begged to replace Ace Frehley in Kiss.

And although he was always convinced a line-up featuring Eddie and brother Alex wouldn’t have lasted long enough to make an album, they still recorded a demo session together.

The glam-rock demon was instrumental in making Van Halen a big-name act after seeing them as a support band and vowing to sign them after two songs. He oversaw the recording of their first demo and says he even bought singer David Lee Roth his first pair of high-heel boots.

Simmons says events unfolded in 1982 when Kiss had sacked guitarist Frehley. Van Halen appeared in the band’s studio, where they were working on new material, and played the main theme from future hit single Jump on a synth.

Speaking on Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx’s radio show, Simmons says: “I say, ‘Eddie, what’s this?’ ‘Oh, that’s the next record.’ ‘Really? I’m hearing it before guitars?’ ‘No, there’s no guitars – that’s it.’ ‘Oh, okay.’

“So I take him to lunch across the street and he actually tells me: ‘I want to join Kiss. I can’t take Roth – he’s driving me nuts. We’re not getting along. I’ve got this sound in my head that I want Van Halen to do, and Roth doesn’t want to do it, and we’re just getting to a point where he’s believing his own hype.’

“I remember feeling proud of what I said. I said: ‘Don’t do it. Stay with the band you started. There’s no role for you – you’re too big. You cast too much of a shadow to be the guitar player in Kiss.’

“And he went back and he was miserable for the next 20 or 30 years. But it would never have worked. Not even close.”

Nevertheless, a three-track recording exists featuring Simmons and the Van Halen brothers. “I’ve got Alex and Eddie on Christine Sixteen, Love For Sale and Tunnel Of Love,” says the bassist. “But it wasn’t a natural fit.”

genesimmons_and_ed.png

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Interesting the twists and turns fate throws at you.

I am very glad Eddie stayed in VH...I could never picture him in KISS.:nw:

I enjoy these tidbits that surface when Gene is talkin' about music/bands, he has more influence than I ever imagined...now if he would just cancel his reality show all would be good.:D

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Loosely translated:

"Eddie, you're way more talented than me. People would pay more atention to you than me. I can't have that."

I love KISS, but let's call a demon a demon.

It would have been like putting an 600 lb. cherry on top of a cupcake.

Actually, if you look at VH's debut, they especially thank Gene.

Khor1255

Reaction score
That was a good decision. Hell, in 1982 VH was still putting out good material. It would have robbed us of that and turned Kiss into another empty platform for 'shredder guitar'. Nothanks and no thanks.

Simmons actually was instrumental in promoting some of the best known hard rock/metal acts of the late 70s and into the shit 80s. Everyone from Accept to Cheap Trick owe him at least a little thanks.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Loosely translated:

"Eddie, you're way more talented than me. People would pay more atention to you than me. I can't have that."

I love KISS, but let's call a demon a demon.

It would have been like putting an 600 lb. cherry on top of a cupcake.

Actually, if you look at VH's debut, they especially thank Gene.

I forgot about that Vehicle but you are right Gene was instrumental in VH getting their first record contract and the rest is history. I have no doubt what you say is true about Gene not wanting someone more talented than himself in KISS, but he's also a very generous guy when it comes to helping people in the music business...as long as KISS is still making millions that is.:rs:

:D

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
According to DLR's book, Gene tried to grab Eddie from Van Halen before they had even made the first Van Halen album. In 1982 the story was vastly different and I agree with Vehicle.

The sound Eddie had in his head that Dave wasn't having any of is the soft cheese Van Hagar made post Dave. Looks like Dave was right AGAIN.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I'm just REALLY diggin' the photo that's posted in the OP!! :pullhair:

That's SWEET!!! Of course Eddie would have been an attention getter if he joined KISS. Not only the skills but people knew who he was as well.

All I know is, I'm glad Eddie stayed put and I'm happy Gene produced that first demo for them.

:grinthumb

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Cool story. Would never have worked of course, but cool story.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
According to DLR's book, Gene tried to grab Eddie from Van Halen before they had even made the first Van Halen album. In 1982 the story was vastly different and I agree with Vehicle.

The sound Eddie had in his head that Dave wasn't having any of is the soft cheese Van Hagar made post Dave. Looks like Dave was right AGAIN.

So thankful Eddie never joined Kiss.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alvinparkermanvan

Members online