Free (Official Thread)

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Agree with 'Fire and Ice'.:bow: :bow::bow: Excellent album with no dud tracks. Also really enjoy 'Heartbreaker' despite the rot having set in by that stage. There are no bad Free albums. :grinthumb For me Free had a spontaneity and spirit that was lost when Paul Rogers later formed Bad Company.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Agree with 'Fire and Ice'.:bow: :bow::bow: Excellent album with no dud tracks. Also really enjoy 'Heartbreaker' despite the rot having set in by that stage. There are no bad Free albums. :grinthumb For me Free had a spontaneity and spirit that was lost when Paul Rogers later formed Bad Company.

been likeminded thoughts myself :bow: but I`d wonder which albums of

FREE: would you put in order of the best to last album...

example free
heartbreaker
??????????

ok...:grinthumb

recgord27

Reaction score
been likeminded thoughts myself :bow: but I`d wonder which albums of

FREE: would you put in order of the best to last album...

example free
heartbreaker
??????????

ok...:grinthumb

For me, the order of their studio albums would go something like -
1. Fire and Water
2. Free
3. Tons of Sobs
4. Heartbreaker
5. At Last
6. Highway

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
good list...mine
1. Fire and Water
2. Tons Of Sobs
3.Highway
4. Free
5 Heartbreaker
6 At Last

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
From 'Ultimate Classis Rock' -

When British blues rock band Free entered the studio in January 1970 to work on its third record, everyone knew it was a real make-or-break moment. Despite the immense, raw talents of singer Paul Rodgers and guitarist Paul Kossoff, their first two albums had hardly made a dent either in America or in their native Great Britain. The common perception was that they had potential, but they were just too green. Everything changed when on June 26, 1970 they dropped Fire and Water.

Carried by the lead single “All Right Now,” which eventually made it all the way into the Top Five on the charts in the U.S. and in England, the album was a smash hit and Free suddenly found itself standing near the top of the rock and roll universe. A star-making turn in front of 600,000 people just a few months later at the Isle of Wight Festival all but cemented that position.

The spirit of the “All Right Now,” which was written by Rodgers and bassist Andy Fraser actually came from another song by bluesman Freddie King titled “The Hunter” that the band had included on their debut record Tons of Sobs in 1969. As Rodgers explained to the Huffington Post, “We wanted our entire set to be original music. This was how we’d become regarded as a serious band. But, “The Hunter” was a song we could never lose because it had the right mood. ‘They call me the hunter, a pretty young girl like you is my only game…’ So light and easy. So, okay, we can’t drop that song, but, what we can also do is write one that’s inspired by that song. With the same lightness of touch, lyrically. You know, pulling chicks, and Yay! Everything’s cool. And that’s where ‘All Right Now’ was born out of, really.”

More than just a vehicle for a single hit song, Fire and Water is a tight, eclectic record filled with balls-out rockers like the title track, funky blues pieces like “Mr. Big,” as well as sultry ballads like “Don’t Say You Love Me” and “Oh I Wept.” The rhythm section, with Fraser on bass and Simon Kirke on drums are as tight as can be, but it’s the vocal flourishes of Rodgers, along with the Kossoff’s signature guitar vibrato that really what set the music apart from anything anyone else was doing at the time.

Unfortunately, just about a year after releasing Fire and Water, Free decided to call it a day. Their follow-up record Highway and the single “The Stealer” performed disappointingly, and Kossoff’s addiction to heroin made it difficult for the band to carry on. “That was a monster hit for us, and it was a bit of a double-edged sword, really,” Kirke stated in 2010. “We became our own worst enemies, I believe. We sort of crumbled under the pressure. There was no letup from that crazy merry-go-round.”

Free reformed once again year later and made another two records before disbanding once again in 1973 for good. Kirke and Rodgers, of course, departed to form the supergroup Bad Company with Mott the Hoople guitarist Mick Ralphs and King Crimson bassist Boz Burrell while Fraser would continue to create music with a variety of outfits until his death in March 2015. Sadly, Paul Kossoff wasn’t able to overcome his addiction to hard drugs and died of a heart attack on a flight from L.A. to New York on March 19, 1976.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
I`ve been playing imho Frees most underrated album " Highway " to be honest the first four albums are the best bluesy rock with a hint of soul. even the later albums where lacking the four musicians gelling together the members forgot why they started the band in the first place and the drugs...

recgord27

Reaction score
I`ve been playing imho Frees most underrated album " Highway " to be honest the first four albums are the best bluesy rock with a hint of soul. even the later albums where lacking the four musicians gelling together the members forgot why they started the band in the first place and the drugs...

Yeah, Highway was a little under-rated, but it sounds like a rushed album that it was. Not my favourite at all.

A little better (only a tiny bit, though) was 1972's Kossoff, Kirke, Tetsu, Rabbit
R-3877810-1408870943-1856.jpeg.jpg

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Yeah, Highway was a little under-rated, but it sounds like a rushed album that it was. Not my favourite at all.

A little better (only a tiny bit, though) was 1972's Kossoff, Kirke, Tetsu, Rabbit
R-3877810-1408870943-1856.jpeg.jpg

yeah the 1972 album is good album...:bow::grinthumb

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
its been a weekend of D.I.Y but now I`ve been listening to the albums.
Tons Of Sobs
Free
Highway
Fire and Ice...:bow::omg::bow:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online