Forgotten Bands of the Sixties

Fug

Reaction score
What a wonderful thread! Living in England, I spent my teen years through most of the sixties - and what a time it was. Just the mention of some of the bands is very, very evocative. The smells, opening up a vinyl album (I can even remember the smell of the 'Sgt Pepper' album when I opened it), the live gigs, the girls :D, the smell of incence, the clothes ........... Somebody stop me or I'm apt to go on forever!

Anyway, back to lost bands of the sixties. I'm not sure what qualifies as 'lost' but I can distinctly remember (I've still got the vinyl albums) the CBS samplers 'Fill Your Head With Rock' & 'The Rock Machine Turns You On'. These albums introduced me to mainly American (West Coast?) bands such as Moby Grape, The United States Of America, The Electric Flag, The Peanut Butter Conspiracy, Steamhammer and Pacific Gas & Electric to name but a few. It was really weird because I came to like and enjoy the tracks on the samplers but when checking out the bands' albums, at times I was disappointed - although conversely I got to hear some great albums. Can anyone remember these bands?

As far as the British scene goes, I grew up with the likes of Argent, Grapefruit, The Herd (Peter Frampton's band), Barclay James Harvest, The Pretty Things and The Small Faces (Ogden's Nut Gone Flake is a seminal classic - check it out if you can).

I've been trawling through the stuff I have on my PC and there's a curiosity that I'm fascinated with. The song is called 'Father's Name Was Dad' by a band called Fire. Can anyone shed any light on this song?

Plenty to talk about I'm sure but as I am typing, for some strange reason, Iron Butterfly came to mind. There you have it.

The Pretty Things were great. Check them out, I think you may find a connection to The Rolling Stones.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Maybe not forgotten but overlooked, Traffic is one of those bands that defined the late 60's sound for me. It was groovy, dark, bluesy and it had Stevie Winwood's voice. Forty Thousand Headmen is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Heres a bit of a undiscovered gem from the 60s.:) ...although a bit on the obscure. The original album on vinyl is worth a fortune . THE SEA-DERS ..later changed their name to THE CEDARS...........from LEBANON would you beleive! This is a great track ! ,,very beatles like in harmonies and song structure....enjoy :grinthumb

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebDimond

Members online