Forgotten Bands of the Sixties

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
Something Jim Keays discovered when "The Master's Apprentices" went to the UK. However they still managed to produce an album out of Abbey Road and their best known song "It's Because I Love You", it's been suggested that John Lennon heard the song being produced and predicted it was going to be big, though I haven't been able to find anything which suggests that.

Great forgotten classic. :grinthumb

Flower Child

Love will overcome all.
Reaction score
The band that comes to mind for me and mostly because it is my favorite band is The Beau Brummels. I think they get lost in the shuffle as being too much like the Beatles while in fact I don't see it. The song writing skills of Ron Elliott was unique and Sal Valentino's vocals were amazing. They had very catchy songs like "Just A little" & "Don't Talk To Strangers" as well as more poignant tunes like "Sad Little Girl" that were all fantastic.

OldHippie

Resident Yooper
Reaction score
Frumius Bandersnatch, virtually unlistenable psychedelic music but they spawned two great bands.Four members of Frumious Bandersnatch (Bobby Winkelman, Jack King, Ross Valory, and David Denny) became regular members of the Steve Miller Band. Valory, along with fellow Frumious Bandersnatch member George Tickner and manager Herbie Herbert joined former Santana members Neal Schon and Gregg Rolie to form the band Journey in 1973

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Great forgotten classic. :grinthumb

Indeed! :D

I think what I failed to mention earlier was the album produced in the UK was simply called "The Masters Apprentices" and in Australia it's called "Choice Cuts" because of there being an earlier album called "The Masters Apprentices". :D

Frands

Reaction score
Got turned on to THEM this Saint Paddys day.
Sound like a angrier version of 60s Rolling Stones to me. Ordered a vinyl copy of "The Angry Young Them" from 1965...maybe it was just the Mickey Big Mouths but I'm looking forward to spinning it.

Haven't seen anything here about THEM .

I must say that 'Them' is a very underrated band IMO. They made some really good songs with great lyrics, as well. Their sound is a bit special but really worth listening to! Personally I like those songs very much:

1. One More Time (Take 14)
2. How Long Baby (Take 1)
3. Call My Name (Single Version)
4. My Lonely Sad Eyes
5. The Story of Them

There is a special story about the song 'The Story of Them' but I can't recall it, sadly.

Last edited:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I haven't skimmed through the previous 29 pages, but have these gems already been mentioned?

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
And then there's this by The Flower Children:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online