Folk Album Anthology#9: Gordon Lightfoot-Sundown

joe

Reaction score
Being a proud Canadian, I have to mention this Canadian folk legend, Gordon Lightfoot.

Singer/songwriter Lightfoot started out in the mid '60's and didn't recieved notoriety until 1970 with his album, Sit Down Young Stranger and his first hit, "If You Could Read My Mind." From there, and most of the '70's he was a Canadian folk hero and hit his commercial success with his 1974 release, Sundown with it's title song reaching number one on both Billboard's album and singles charts.

Gentle, beautiful folk. A real listening pleasure. Here's a prime example of Canadiana.

album-sundown.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Never been a very big fan of the whole 'folk' scene aside from a few tunes here and there from a couple of artists. Sundown is definitely my favorite Gordon tune. Carefree Hwy is another one I don't mind.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Hey, i know Sundown! Never knew it was Mr. Lightfoot though! That makes the third song by him I like then! I'll have to check the other tunes out later Joe! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
He is an institution up here, and deservedly so. I have quite a few of his albums, Sundown and Summertime Dream are my two favorites. Bob Dylan complimented him on being one of the best songwriters he's ever known.

Nice thread Joe, I think I'll spin Sundown right now it's great music to start the day with.:D

joe

Reaction score
Never been a very big fan of the whole 'folk' scene aside from a few tunes here and there from a couple of artists. Sundown is definitely my favorite Gordon tune. Carefree Hwy is another one I don't mind.

I'm not a huge folkie myself Lynch but on occassion when I'm in that "mood", folk rock fits right in.

Hey, i know Sundown! Never knew it was Mr. Lightfoot though! That makes the third song by him I like then! I'll have to check the other tunes out later Joe! :grinthumb

He has a bunch of great tunes Soot.

He is an institution up here, and deservedly so. I have quite a few of his albums, Sundown and Summertime Dream are my two favorites. Bob Dylan complimented him on being one of the best songwriters he's ever known.

Nice thread Joe, I think I'll spin Sundown right now it's great music to start the day with.:D

Thanx LG.

I guess us Canucks only know and really appreciate the music he has done. I've been hummin' "Sundown" since I listened to it early this morning. I don't mind, it's not one of those tunes that get your stuck in your head and you try everything possible to get rid of it.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^He was here last year doing a tour, but he looks so frail and weak now like a shadow of himself, and his voice is starting to go as well. Still he will always be in the top 10 Canadian artists of all time on my personal list and if he wants to keep doing live shows all the power to him.

joe

Reaction score
I recently saw him doing an interview with Peter Mansbridge and it almost brought tears to my eyes when I saw him as I hadn't seem him in years.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I felt the same way, he did survive a life threatening illness a few years ago, but it looks like it sucked the life out of him.:(

joe

Reaction score
Ya, sad. It's great that he fought through it. Way to go Gordo.:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Staff online