First heavy metal song?

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath ,was the first Metal album , and Black Sabbath , song 1, side 1, was the very first Metal song on that album. There were songs that were hard rock songs that came out before it but there was no Metal until Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath.

Reactions: joe

joe

Reaction score
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath ,was the first Metal album , and Black Sabbath , song 1, side 1, was the very first Metal song on that album. There were songs that were hard rock songs that came out before it but there was no Metal until Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath.

This conversation is over. Close the thread.;)

nedkelly

Reaction score
^^^ Technically speaking, that could be quite arguable Vader. Some say Helter Skelter was the very first "heavy metal" tune ever written, but I don't agree with that:). I think we have to try to 'remove' the 'heaviness' out of a song and just try to listen to the power chords. Could it be that Sabbath simply turned up the "amps" and made power chords "heavier"??! The Kinks obtained power chords by using a "miserable" amp system and the rest was guitar work. We would have to better define the label "heavy metal" first before we could even try to start a debate like this. Then we have to define the diff between hard rock and heavy metal, which would give way to very interesting debates on the matter in question.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Well blues led to rock and heavy blues led to metal in my opinion.
The heaviest blues to me is the "hill country" flavor.
Such as the great R L Burnside.
OK it's not metal. But you can smell it.

E-Z

Reaction score
A slight twist on this topic thread is the first SEED METAL song recorded by a band?.

Some metal head's claim the first SPEED METAL song that was recorded was DEEP PURPLE's SPEED KING in 1970 and is featured on there IN ROCK album but In my humble opinion the first SPEED METAL song that was recorded was the Aram Khachaturian song SABRE DANCE in 1968 by Dave Edmund's & LOVE SCULPTURE. The song was released as a edited single that charted in the UK as well as a full length version of the song was featured on the LOVE SCULPTURE second album FORMS AND FEELINGS in 1969 about 18-20 years before SPEED METAL was invented in the late 1980s!!. Dave Edmunds' plays the song at a 1000mph!!!!!.

E-Z

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Clearly, there are a lot of people who can not tell the difference between Metal and it's forefathers.

E-Z

Reaction score
As far as when was the term Heavy Metal was first used in the UK the answer is,... I don't know?.

BUT the first time I remember hearing it used was around 1977/78 in London.

E-Z

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online