First heavy metal song?

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I know Blue Cheer and The MC5 are both frequently mentioned retrospectively for perhaps being Metal before Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zep were recognized as being Metal, but I'm going to go a year earlier to 1967 and nominate Jimi Hendrix with "Purple Haze" (but even "Foxy Lady" could be another "first metal song"). I don't think there was anything as heavy earlier than Jimi. Fresh Cream from 1966 isn't as heavy, imo, so still Jimi.

Reaction score
One of the earliest influences, particularly the shock-value, devil worship, insane screaming vocal...
From 1956
'Screaming" Jay Hawkins
A performance that must have given adults heart attacks

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
First heavy-metal song - Sabbath's "Paranoid", first doom-metal song - "Black Sabbath". These guys were much more metal'ish, than Purple, Heep and Zeppelin. That's my opinion. 2_sm5.gif

P.S. But yet, pure, 100% heavy-metal appeared along with Priest's albums in the end of 70's (particularly, such a songs like "Exciter" and "Stained Class") and with NWOBHM (Diamond Head, Saxon, Iron Maiden). It was a time, when the style finally formed, I think. More earlier samples of the genre were "hard'n'heavy", but not pure "metal".

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online