1. The Yardbirds
2. The Hollies
3. The Dave Clark Five
4. The Zombies
5. The Who

HippinHippie

Flower Power
Reaction score
My top 5 British Invasion Artists the influenced music here in America.
1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. The Kinks
4. The Who
5. The Moody Blues

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
cream
beatles
the rolling stones
domovan
yardbirds
led zeppelin
kinks
who
traffic
hermans hermits

and many more...

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Hi joker1961!
I like your inclusion of Herman's Hermits on your list.Interesting choiceYes,I'm aware that they were rather slammed by critics who dismissed most of their works as some sort of rather shallow bubblegum or whatever but as far as I'm concerned any half decent compilation of their better known tunes is almost guaranteed to put a smile on the face of the listener.Happy,good time music much like many of the Monkees' hits.Once again,the members of this site have asked me to do what for me is at least nearly impossible-narrowing things down to a few favorite groups,albums or songs when you're a classic rock buff.Everyone here who HAS submitted a list of their favorite British Invasion acts pretty much covered just about everyone who would make MY list.Further evidence of all of your impeccable tastes.A big thumbs up to everyone who put their two cents in here.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
There were some pretty cool artists that came out of the so-called British Invasion. I remember all the compilations that came out in the 70's with so much interesting music. Some of my favourites are:
The Kinks
The Who
The Yardbirds
Moody Blues
Donovan
Them
Petula Clark
The Beatles
Rolling Stones

rtbuck

Reaction score
Hi joker1961!
I like your inclusion of Herman's Hermits on your list.Interesting choiceYes,I'm aware that they were rather slammed by critics who dismissed most of their works as some sort of rather shallow bubblegum or whatever but as far as I'm concerned any half decent compilation of their better known tunes is almost guaranteed to put a smile on the face of the listener.Happy,good time music much like many of the Monkees' hits.Once again,the members of this site have asked me to do what for me is at least nearly impossible-narrowing things down to a few favorite groups,albums or songs when you're a classic rock buff.Everyone here who HAS submitted a list of their favorite British Invasion acts pretty much covered just about everyone who would make MY list.Further evidence of all of your impeccable tastes.A big thumbs up to everyone who put their two cents in here.

Herman's Hermits are great! Peter Noone still puts on an entertaining show and his backup band is fantastic and entertaining as well. For about the past 7 years as the band plays the intro to Henry the 8th they launch into a bit of Blitzkrieg Bop (Ramones) & Pretty Vacant(Sex Pistols) but anyway they had so many great hits and while a song like Can't you feel My heartbeat may be a bit poppy Derek "Lek" Lekenby pulls off a cool sounding solo. Must to Avoid is a cool tune & so are Hold on &Just a Little bit Better. I Love their Greatest Hits album and the Hermits along with the Stones, Kinks, Who, Animals, Yardbirds, the Beatles, and Dave Clark 5 are my favorites. Stones, Yardbirds, & Kinks are my top 3

PapaJacques

Obligatory New Guy
Reaction score
There really are different 'eras' to the British Invasion and I find each one fascinating. Of course, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones were fixed constants throughout,but it's interesting to compare the different 'waves' of the invasion.

FIRST WAVE- 1964/65
The Kinks
Dusty Springfield
The Searchers
The Dave Clark Five
The Animals

SECOND WAVE- 1966/67
Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders
The Hollies
Donovan
The Who
Lulu

Some would consider the British Invasion to have ended around 1967, but I believe it continued right through until the end of the decade:

FINAL WAVE- 1968/69
Cream
Jimi Hendrix Experience (I know Hendrix was American, but 2/3 of the Experience were British and he built his reputaton in the 'Swinging London' scene of '66/67)
Status Quo (1968's 'Pictures Of Matchstick Men' was the band's only major US hit)
The Zombies (Time Of The Season)
Fleetwood Mac (Albatross)

Quite a few I left out but I feel that's a pretty decent sampler.

DougBRrock79

Reaction score
My Top 20

1 - The Kinks
2 - The Beatles
3 - The Hollies
4 - The Rolling Stones
5 - The Zombies
6 - The Who
7 - The Troggs
8 - The Dave Clark Five
9 - The Yardbirds
10 - The Small Faces
11 - The Spencer Davis Group
12 - The Animals
13 - Them
14 - The Searchers
15 - The Move
16 - Herman's Hermits
17 - Wayne Fontana / The Mindbenders
18 - The Swinging Blue Jeans
19 - The Nashville Teens
20 - The Pretty Things

galt54

Reaction score
My "big five" of the British Invasion in this order:

1) The Beatles
2) The Kinks
3) The Dave Clark Five
4) The Rolling Stones
5) The Zombies

Herman´s Hermits gets an honourable mention!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online