Favorite bands of the British Invasion?

E-Z

Reaction score
Could the JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE be considered part of the 'British Invasion' of America?. Jimi was of course an American citizen but 'the Experience' also included Englishmen Noel Redding (bass) & Mitch Mitchell (drums) and they appeared at the Monterey International Pop Festival in June 1967 which 'broke' Jimi and the Experience in the USA.

RhyeInTheJar

Reaction score
Could the JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE be considered part of the 'British Invasion' of America?. Jimi was of course an American citizen but 'the Experience' also included Englishmen Noel Redding (bass) & Mitch Mitchell (drums) and they appeared at the Monterey International Pop Festival in June 1967 which 'broke' Jimi and the Experience in the USA.

I'm a big Hendrix fan and I've sometimes thought about this. My answer is probably not. Jimi was American and his music has very little in common with anything British. His British association was purely accidental, because Chas Chandler of The Animals saw him live and wanted to take him under his wing, so he took him to the UK and hooked him up with some British musicians.

E-Z

Reaction score
I'm a big Hendrix fan and I've sometimes thought about this. My answer is probably not. Jimi was American and his music has very little in common with anything British. His British association was purely accidental, because Chas Chandler of The Animals saw him live and wanted to take him under his wing, so he took him to the UK and hooked him up with some British musicians.
Yeah I've never thought of the Jimi Hendrix Experience as being part of 'the British Invasion' myself mainly because in my mind the British Invasion occurred around 1965-66 (maybe even during 1964?) and it's not an era of 'popular music' that I'm that interested in and it's only when Jimi 'hit the London scene' in late 1966 into 1967 that I become interested in blues/rock bands like Cream & Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and what followed on in there wake...

treborillusion

Reaction score
The band were formed in City of Westminster, case closed, however, further evidence to back this up comes from an old vinyl compilation album I once observed that had the British Invasion hits including one from The Jimi Hendrix Experience; I remember the cover being drenched in the Union Jack and on the back, a map of the British Isle outlined with the track listings.
Also; Purple Haze was recorded on Dean St, Soho, City of Westminster, UK.

Jimi Hendrix had two bands of notoriety - one was British and was more Chas Chandler's, and the other, to quote Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash
"more Jimi's thing"...
when talking about Band of Gypsies, which was American, out of New York City, NY, USA.

Last edited:

treborillusion

Reaction score
You have to understand, America will take credit for this, but they were too busy with civil rights which warred with Jimi at the time since he was in this British band.
.. True story.

treborillusion

Reaction score
Also, you have to understand, London is a very international city, so an American coming along and having a band in City of Westminster doesn't make them based in America when all the paper work and organising were pretty much the same scene as the rest; Beatles, Stones, Who.. Cream as well...
So that's how Jimi's band was British.

treborillusion

Reaction score
Plus that band (The Jimi Hendrix Experience) started out playing small clubs and venues around the UK before venturing off to France on their first outing...
Then they cracked America.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online