Favorite Artists of the 90s

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I'd take 80's alt rock over 90's any day of the week. The 90's was full of self-loathing, crybaby, whiny, whoa-is-me bullshit.

Anyway, my original comment wasn't regarding alt-rock, but rock music on the whole. The vast majority of the 90's blew goats.

Lynch

Reaction score
Kicks the 80's arse. Plus nothing wrong with self loathing, anyone who doesn't hate themself isn't paying attention.
I can hate myself just fine without some band's "I hate my life" and "the world sucks"-type tunes dragging me down.

What alt rock is there from the 80's?

Alt started in the 80's....

U2
REM
The Cure
INXS
Love and Rockets
Depeche Mode
Squeeze
10,000 Maniacs
Kate Bush
Crowded House
Husker Du
The Replacements
Trip Shakespeare
Erasure
The Sugarcubes

That's as far as I'm going to list out

I'm not saying I like all of these bands, because I don't. Even of the
ones I don't mind, I certainly don't like all of their stuff, but either
way, it's STILL better than most of the alternative rock that came
out in the 90's

Fisha

Reaction score
I can hate myself just fine without some band's "I hate my life" and "the world sucks"-type tunes dragging me down.

Alt started in the 80's....

U2
REM
The Cure
INXS
Love and Rockets
Depeche Mode
Squeeze
10,000 Maniacs
Kate Bush
Crowded House
Husker Du
The Replacements
Trip Shakespeare
Erasure
The Sugarcubes

That's as far as I'm going to list out

I'm not saying I like all of these bands, because I don't. Even of the
ones I don't mind, I certainly don't like all of their stuff, but either
way, it's STILL better than most of the alternative rock that came
out in the 90's

Crowded house and REM are as much 90's as 80's, INXS and U2 were hardly alternative. and basically tos ebands dont' match radiohead and nirvana and smashing pumpkins and all the others.

On your side pixies and mudhoney and some other pre-grunge bands probably deserve a mention. But really alternative came into fruition in the 90's

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Crowded house and REM are as much 90's as 80's, INXS and U2 were hardly alternative. and basically tos ebands dont' match radiohead and nirvana and smashing pumpkins and all the others.

On your side pixies and mudhoney and some other pre-grunge bands probably deserve a mention. But really alternative came into fruition in the 90's

Do you have radar for Lynch's most hated bands or what? :oyea: Dude, your new so we can forgive you but dropping the name Nirvana or Radiohead for anything in your defense we will only create five pages of fury Lynchness and that's if you even have the endurance to stay in after the first page! His hatred will smite any defense of those bands so don't even try dude! :oyea:

Lynch

Reaction score
U2 and INXS were both alternative in the 80's. In the 90's, both (especially U2) because a pop act. Joshua Tree perhaps simply just 'rock', but everything before Josh Tree was most definitely alt. REM was an 80's band first and foremost. they put out 6 albums in the 80's alone, and have only put out 8 total ever since. So, I disagree, they aren't as much a 90's band, even if they were still around through the decade. Crowded House, IMHO, was definitely bigger in the 80's as the band fell apart in the mid 90's. *shrug*

I wasn't going to mention every band out there as the list would be long, but to say that the 80's wasn't or didn't have alt is silly and really just an uneducated opinion. without the 80's alt bands, the alt artists of the 90s wouldn't have existed. The 80's is where alt came into fruition and imho, it's where it was it's best.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
the 90's-favorite artists? The 90's rocked just like the 50, 60, 70, 80 and 00's. yeah tons lots of self hating-loathing bands awesome. Just because they are self hating and loathing does't mean I have to follow in their pity I just like the sound, the lyrics and the music. What the drug influenced 60's and 70's music was better only because it was about drugs and hippy love? Or the 80's I hair bands who spoke about wanting to party to I puke and F* ever girl I meet. Sorry I've never listened to music just because I related to the lyrics. I don't live a band life style and never did.

The new alternative, Brit Pop and women who rock is what my 90's was about

Radiohead
Pearl Jam
Screaming Trees
Neutral Milk Hotel
Jeff Buckley
Tori Amos
PJ Harvey
Fiona Apple
Bjork
Porcupine Tree
Pixies
Oasis
The Verve
My Bloody Valentine
Marillion(H era is 90's)
Ani DiFranco
Cibo Matto
Blind Melon
The Blues Traveler
STP
The Breeders
Counting Crows
Belly
Blur
Mogwai
Super Furry ANimals
Mazzy Star
Portishead
Sleater-Kinney
Massive Attack
Placebo
Smashing Pumpkins
Spiritualized
Tortoise
The Lemonheads
Poe
Elliot Smith
Beth Orton
Suede
Bush
Änglagård
Concrete Blonde

I can go on!!!

Last edited:

Fisha

Reaction score
U2 and INXS were both alternative in the 80's. In the 90's, both (especially U2) because a pop act. Joshua Tree perhaps simply just 'rock', but everything before Josh Tree was most definitely alt. REM was an 80's band first and foremost. they put out 6 albums in the 80's alone, and have only put out 8 total ever since. So, I disagree, they aren't as much a 90's band, even if they were still around through the decade. Crowded House, IMHO, was definitely bigger in the 80's as the band fell apart in the mid 90's. *shrug*

I wasn't going to mention every band out there as the list would be long, but to say that the 80's wasn't or didn't have alt is silly and really just an uneducated opinion. without the 80's alt bands, the alt artists of the 90s wouldn't have existed. The 80's is where alt came into fruition and imho, it's where it was it's best.

Haha what's the bet this arguement isn't going anywhere?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online