Favorite Artists of the 90s

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I started a favorites of the 80s thing so I thought I'd do one for the 90s. So what were some of your faves from the 90s?

My top two would have to be Smashing Pumpkins and Foo Fighters. So they're not the premier grunge bands or anything - though Foo Fighters are related to Nirvana through drummer extraordinaire, Dave Grohl. But they did put out a lot of great music and Foo Fighters are still going strong. Here's hoping Smashing Pumkins can pull off a miracle and reunite at some point. I know Billy Corgan wants to but that isn't enough to make it so.

Nirvanadude

Vinyl Collector
Reaction score
Nirvana
Rage Against The Machine
Ministry (really an 80s group but had some brilliant stuff in the 90s)
LARD

and many many more that I can't think of right now

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Nirvana!

Other than that I was extremely fond of Alice In Chains for a time, and still like them a lot. Also I always include Tom Petty in with my 90s favorites because he did great stuff in the 90s, as did Neil Young. Also have lesser interests in Oasis, Tori Amos, Soundgarden, and Stone Temple Pilots.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Interesting. I think I'm going to have to put Nirvana on my list of 'I just don't get it" artists after all. I like them and all but they never were my favorite band of the era for some reason. I liked Pearl Jam a whole lot more and of course the Foo Fighters seem to appeal to me a lot mroe too. Maybe it was the negativity? I don't know.

Oh well, not saying Nirvana wasn't any good or anything. They will also probably go down as one of the most influential and important artists of their day but I'll take Pearl Jam any day.

algernon

Reaction score
Let me say that in the nineties, I was pretty much absorbed in my own music. My antenna were not out,...I was not really paying attention...but Nirvana mugged me from behind. The "unplugged" thing they did just blew me away .

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
It was VERY impressive the way they took their mainstream moment and shared it with so many by performing songs of others.

Cobain was a mensch!

algernon

Reaction score
Martha Washington said:
It was VERY impressive the way they took their mainstream moment and shared it with so many by performing songs of others.

Cobain was a mensch!
GOOD point, mein friend...hadn't thought of that. Very true.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Pearl Jam, I forgot to mention them. :D They're a great band, too. :cool: They're sound is so cool and some of their songs are spectacular.

But speaking of Nirvana *drool* ... speaking of Kurt sharing the wealth, what is up with the Incesticide liner notes? I bought Incesticide and it doesn't have the legendery liner notes where Kurt praised a bunch of obscure bands... where'd that go? Long before I got the album I had read on Amazon.com that the liner notes were as good as the album itself.

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Nirvana and Pearl Jam really tunred me back on to contemporary rock, at least for a while.

Some of my favorites were the previously mentioned bands, as well as STP, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Chilli Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.

I really enjoyed the "swing" revival of the mid 90's with The Squirrel Nut Zippers, Chery Poopin' Daddies, and Combustible Edison.

And I don't know if it was because they were local bands, and maybe they didn't get haevy national airplay, but I did like Letters to Cleo, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Morphine, Juiliana Hatfield, and the Lemonheads. They were all on the Boston scene in the 90's, and I know some of them had nationwide exposure.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.