Fairlight CMI

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Hi there, with the 80s music coming back to haunt me, I've been trying to get as much information about the Fairlight CMI device which was widely used in the 80s. Sadly since then that Computer Instrument has been forgotten mainly due to the expense of it, the original company which made the device went under because of the sheer expense of it and since then time as moved on and Computer technologies has developed a lot. In recent times though some revival companies have revived this device, though still with a price tag, though given this is 2012 and the device costs the same as what it did in the early 80s, perhaps more affordable, though perhaps the breakthrough is a "Fairlight Pro App for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad, iOS 4.0 or later" which only costs £30!

What I was wondering though was if anyone knows of any other musical styles which might of incorporated fairlight into their music in the 80s. The wikipage I've provided has a list of bands which were using that instrument in the 80s which helps, though they seem to be the more big bands which would of had the money to get one. I was wondering if there were stuff out there using the Fairlight of a more Instrument,Classical or Acoustic nature which might of done something with it?

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I only know the bigger bands and people like Kate Bush, who was introduced to the Fairlight by Peter Gabriel.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I only know the bigger bands and people like Kate Bush, who was introduced to the Fairlight by Peter Gabriel.

Yeah it seems to be the way. One interesting group of people who were using it I only just noticed were using it is the "BBC Radiophonic Workshop", unfortunately clicking on the Link only provides a general description about them and not where they were using the Fairlight. Presumibly I can only assume that since they were doing Soundtracks for shows like Dr. Who, it's possible they were using the Fairlight during the 80s in Dr. Who, actual tunes (of the soundtracks) would be excellent if they exist.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Hello CP/M, welcome back.:tup:

Nice to see you delving into the 80's

Fairlight...I used to own a Keith Emerson soundtrack "Night Hawks" I think was the title that was the first time I had seen a "Fairlight synthesizer" mentioned in the credits.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Great thanks, I'll have to take a look at that soundtrack. :D

Nighthawks was done in 1981 so it could be using a CMI Series II which is a step up from the CMI Series I which came out in 1979.

It's perhaps no surprise how extensively used the Fairlight was used in the 80s, and since I've picked up a few big bands along the way from the 80s, I seem to have picked up a few fairlight driven songs! Or at least the Fairlight was responsible was Influencing others at designing similar instrumentation.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Following up on my last post, I found the entire Nighthawks Sountrack on YouTube. Unfortunately I couldn't find any track listings for this album, even Wikipedia doesn't appear to have any.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online