1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early or late 80's music..what do you prefer?

Discussion in '80's Music' started by TheWhalerfan, May 14, 2011.

1. Slip'nn2Darkness

Slip'nn2Darkness Sub Sonic Soul Shaker

Same with me.. I just remember the whole decade being the best time in my life for getting really deep in all kinds of music.. And everything was happening in the music world.. The British wave of Pop musicians.. MTV came around.. Record production companies were popping up right and left and you were exposed to tons of underground bands..
    Bands were touring doing big ass arena concerts.. To me.. it's like the world woke up and music was the one thing everybody enjoyed!!:cheers2

2. River

River Is everybody in?

Definatley the first half before Live Aid and the rise of MTV changed mainstream rock and pop music forever.:wa

3. Kink Floyd

Kink Floyd Senior Member

Anything before 1986

The Police
    Echo And The Bunnymen (At their prime)
    Peter Gabriel
    The Smiths
    The Cars

etc..

4. GV1967Piggy

GV1967Piggy Junior Member

I prefer the early to mid-80s era as the later 80s stuff was more ballads and not as much rockin out.

5. Black Dahlia

Black Dahlia A Seasoned Witch

Pfff... I totally agree.

I always ask people "early or later '80's?" when they are talking about 80's music, as the earlier half of the decade is
    very different from the later half.

I too, prefer the early 80's. Digital as opposed to analogue seems to be my issue. I like rock and heavy metal,
    but I also like synth in music. The analogue synth of the early 80's was a much fatter, more substantial sound.

Also, music seemed to get less real with digital recording. Digital recording did get better over time, but in the
    80's, it was done without fully utilizing, or even knowing it's potential. It sounded modern, but too bright and thin.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  6. SanguineRemedy

SanguineRemedy Speed Demon

Up to '86, I'd say. Kink Floyd had it right.

7. LordJohn

LordJohn Member

The early 80's was a continuation of the late 70's, with Punk, Post-Punk, and New Wave still kicking in the mainstream and bringing their frantic energy to rock music. Mainstream music in the mid/late 80's was terrible, but there were still lots of good underground trends (Noise rock, Hardcore, British Gothic Rock).

As much as some people like to go on about the 60's, for me the late 70's/early 80's may be the peak of rock music. It was when there was punk rock in the mainstream that wasn't hardcore or pop-punk skater boy crap.

8. GiovanniV

GiovanniV Junior Member

From 1980 to 85, new wave and new romantic as well as metal and rock for me, after Live Aid music seemed to change, becoming more preachy and also dance/club oriented pop dominated whilst Stock, Aiken and Waterman’s assault on the British charts didn’t help matters much, I liked the corny hair bands though!

The American's had it a little better than the Brits, they seemed to be far more into rock!