Early or late 80's music..what do you prefer?

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
All of the 80's! Not many prog fans have good feelings about the decade but I'm one, I love a lot of bands going around in both halves of the 80's! :)

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
I am a great, passionate lover of the synthesizer, and electric equipment in general. The early 80s had more of that than the late 80s (at least, it was the stuff that got the most airtime). There was less of an aggressive sound toward the end of the 80s for many bands that were extremely popular at the beginning of the decade.

Basically, a lot of bands went from "very electronic" or attention-grabbing to "AM radio material" in 10 years or less. Like Foreigner, for example. What the hell.

Mr. T

Reaction score
On the whole, the 80's was my favorite decade of music. Not sure I could choose first 5 years over the last 5 years (or vice versa).

I'm with you Lynch... the whole decade was excellent in different ways and remains my favorite decade for music as a whole. Sure, there was a lot of crap too but that's true of every decade. Anyone who thinks rock died in 1985 just had their tranny stuck in nuetral IMO. (Sorry, Groovy) :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I can't stand George Michael/Wham! sorta stuff (sorry Harmony :peek:) so I'll go first half I guess. :)

:heheh: It's ok, Feldy. I can understand why some people don't like the mega pop stylings of George and Wham!.

Based on the albums in the library, I would have to go with the first half of the 80's, but I will never subscribe to the old complaint that "the 80's Sucked!", I lived through them and have nothing but fond memories of the time and the music.

Yeah, I agree. I have a couple friends who are in their late 20's that say the 80's sucked and that they should know because "they were there". I'm sorry but since they were only 7 years old when the 80's ended I think that disqualifies that point. :rolleyes:

I love the 80's quite honestly. Not as much as other decades but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 80's just as long as you can understand that there was a level of cheese in parts of it. As far as which half of the decade goes I like the early 80's quite a bit more. :grinthumb

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
I changed direction musically around the mid 80's so for me:

rock-early 80's. By the mid 80's all the great rock bands from the 70's and first couple years of the 80's went commercial and the new wave of rock (i.e. hair metal, glam) didnt do a thing for me. Some good bands came out of that era but by-and-large most were cookie cutter generic and didnt last the decade.

metal-late 80's. By '87 thrash and speed metal bands were taking over the heavy metal world and alot of heavy metal rock fans were changing alliances from bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and moving on to Metallica, Anthrax, Testament, Exodus, and Overkill just to name a few.

T

Tedja Satyadi

i preferred the early 80's ... because back then the music still at it's core !!!

:tm:

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
I loved the entire 80's decade but if I had to pick I would have to say early 80's.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I love the entire decade but I think there is MUCH MUCH more that I like about the early 80's for sure! :grinthumb

ANF

Reaction score
I love all of the 80's but I would say 1980-1984 was slightly better than 1985-1989. The late 80's had Debbie Gibson, Milli Vanilli, NKOTB and other stuff of that ilk that even a fan of guilty pleasure pop music can't stomach (OTOH I can find enjoyment out of Culture Club, Wham, Physical era Olivia Newton-John, etc...).

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online