Doors (Official Thread)

SloopJohnB

Reaction score
A junior Jim Morrison? Check out this video out of Dallas a few years back. The pre-teen lead singer is Jonah Smith, and watch his movements. I think it's safe to say Jim has influenced many generations...

Edit to add this video which confirms his Morrison influence. Jonah is the one wearing the Morrison T-shirt. This is an original song that he and his group "Crooked Preacher" recorded at school. He was a Zounds Sounds student at the time.

Come On - Crooked Preacher

Last edited:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I tend to listen to this one together with "Strange Days".They seem kind of like Vol 1 and Vol 2 to me for some reason.The big mind blower for me here is the hauntingly spacy "Not to Touch the Earth".I also adore the beautifully lilting "Love Street",a tune I fell in love with after watching the scene from the Oliver Stone movie when Jim Morrison first encounters his chief love interest played by Meg Ryan.And,of course,Ray Manzarek's usual mesmerizingly sweet psych-church organ stylings."Sun" was the band's sole Billboard number one....The discs's million selling "Hello I Love You" is a solid piece of pop hit writing.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Spanish Caravan was always my favorite off this album and - of course - the title track that was somehow left off this album and wouldn't surface until Morrison Hotel. I always liked My Wild Love as well. Don't really know why it is just kind of haunting.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
For some reason,even though I've heard "Sun" many times,I have a hard time knowing the different songs by their titles due to the certain sameness about them.(But of course,it's a really fabulous sameness).I seem to have the same difficulty with many Led Zep tunes that don't particularly mention the titles in them.The connection here?The sometimes heavily cryptic nature of Robert Plants' and Jim Morrison's highly ethereal wordings.I would absolutely envy ANYBODY who could quote the entire lyrics or even good portions of them by memory.So much depth.....

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Robby Krieger Announces Solo Tour

Robby-Krieger.jpg

Source Link

Something’s cooking in Doors guitarist Robby Krieger’s kitchen.

Krieger has scheduled a new solo tour with his band Robby Krieger’s Jam Kitchen that will kick off on Aug. 9 in Sturgis, S.D., and run through early September, when it wraps up in Orlando. As ABC News Radio reports, Krieger’s Jam Kitchen lineup includes a number of seasoned rock vets, including a pair of former Frank Zappa sidemen (bassist Arthur Barrow and keyboardist Tommy Mars), War saxophonist Larry Klimas and session drummer Tom Brechtlein.

The new dates represent a renewed burst of solo activity for Krieger, who last toured in late 2012 behind his most recent album, the instrumental collection ‘Singularity.’ No word yet on whether the Jam Kitchen have plans to enter the studio after coming back from the road, or if these dates — which include a stop at the Buffalo Chip Music Festival in Sturgis — will be preserved for posterity with a live album.

jburt84

Reaction score
The biggest independent rapper Tech N9ne works with The Doors on his new album:

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
The Doors Announce Archival ‘R-Evolution’ DVD

The-Doors.jpg

Early television appearances, music films and rare footage will make up the bulk of the Doors‘ ‘R-Evolution’ DVD, which will be released later this year. The band just announced the project, which will also be available as a deluxe edition featuring a 40-page book of lyrics and photos.

Rolling Stone reports that ‘R-Evolution’ will be out on Dec. 3. The DVD and Blu-Ray will feature rare clips of the Doors performing classic songs like ‘L.A. Woman,’ ‘People Are Strange,’ ‘Light My Fire’ and ‘Break on Through (To the Other Side).’ Commentary from John Densmore, Robby Krieger and the late Ray Manzarek will run throughout the program.

The project revisits the band’s rise to fame and commercial peak in the late ’60s and early ’70. Outtakes from the group’s appearance on ‘Malibu U’ and previously unreleased footage from a 1966 Ford training film will also be included. The release comes two months after the 40th anniversary of the band’s breakup in 1973.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
When it comes to top debut albums The Doors kicked off with one that would make my short list. I just can't fault any of the tracks on it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roidteam

Members online