Diamond Head (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I agree Mud, I started out with "Lightning to the Nations" and now have 4 or 5 of their records, have to look to make sure.

overkill86

Reaction score
^
That's what I'm trying to do.

I was going to pick up "Lightning to the Nations" at my local record store but it wasn't there. It seemed like they had all of their albums except the one I wanted to start with. :mad

I listened to the whole album online. It kicks ass for sure. :grinthumb

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
Given how good a singer Sean Harris is (Kinda like Rodgers crossed with Plant), it's rather strange that he hasn't really done much (in terms of recordings) in his career outside of Diamond Head. Aside from a guest spot on a concept album by Gary Hughes, I swear I've never actually seen him pop up anywhere outside of DH. Anyone have any idea if he's done anything else?

opera races

Reaction score
Given how good a singer Sean Harris is (Kinda like Rodgers crossed with Plant), it's rather strange that he hasn't really done much (in terms of recordings) in his career outside of Diamond Head. Aside from a guest spot on a concept album by Gary Hughes, I swear I've never actually seen him pop up anywhere outside of DH. Anyone have any idea if he's done anything else?
Sorry I have been neglectful of the Diamond Head thread again. I hope to resume after Christmas. In the meantime I will answer the above question(s) to the best of my knowledge:

After Diamond Head (Brian Tatler & Sean Harris) split up for the first time, in 1985, Sean Harris and Robin George formed a band called Notorious. A s/t album Notorious was released in 1990. In addition a single, The SWALK, was also released in 1990. The way the tracks on the Notorious album were mixed was not as the songs were originally intended. Due to problems at the record company, the Notorious album was deleted soon after release.

4254024.jpg

Robin George & Sean Harris - Notorious - The SWALK

The original Notorious recordings were re-issued in 2010 on an album called Notorious - Radio Silence.

8303182.jpg

Robin George & Sean Harris - Notorious - Radio Silence

Otherwise (and this is leaving out the *DRAMA* I have largely avoided going into) while Sean by certain accounts is continually writing songs, nothing by him has been released nor has he been involved in any other projects with public output that I know of.

On December 5, 2011, Sean and Brian briefly reunited performing Diamond Head songs at the first of Metallica's 30th anniversary concerts at the Fillmore in San Francisco. Unfortunately all I've been able to find on You Tube is a brief snippet of The Prince:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I always felt sorry for Sean Harris that his collaboration with Robin George in NOTORIOUS didnt work out.....two very talented guys in their own fields.
I dont think Im the only one to think that Harris should have taken more of a heavy metal approach than a" lets see if we can break into the US commercial market "which I felt Robin George always hoped he would
I guess we picture Sean singing "Am I evil" for the rest of his life :D

opera races

Reaction score
A few months ago while I was doing some research on Robin George I found an interesting and excellent interview from 2003. This is what Robin had to say about Sean/Notorious:

- Then there was a project called NOTORIOUS...

...With Sean from DIAMOND HEAD who years ago I produced a single for. I went to see Sean, and said, "OK, we're both good at what we do. Why don't we just get together to do a project and take the piss of the record companies for a change?" It was a very interesting combination for me and Sean, who wanted to be a bit poppier than he was in DIAMOND HEAD. We got paid very handsomely for that project but again, the record company for some reason pulled it. You know, so many people have made absolutely great records that didn't go out. I still think that the original demos were far better than the final product.

The rest of the interview is well worth reading.

LET IT ROCK - Robin GEORGE interview

Unfortunately Notorious had various factors both inside and outside the band which kept that collaboration from being a success.

Robin is definitely an interesting guy/musician/artist, etc. Being on this side of the pond about all I knew about him up to the last couple years was from my old Kerrang! magazines.

From various things I've read I get the impression that Sean very much wanted to move on beyond heavy metal and at times acted out this desire in ways that were detrimental to Diamond Head (as I will mention when I get to the Death & Progress era). He did have the idea of wanting to be a solo artist but unfortunately his solo career hasn't ever progressed much beyond writing in his bedroom. Also he had difficulty moving on from having anyone other than his mother manage his career. Due to the amount of "grief" Sean ultimately gave Brian and the rest of the band in connection with Diamond Head and "making music", it has been a great effort on my part to view Sean's role in Diamond Head objectively for this thread. Privately, as far as I am concerned, and putting it politely, Sean is someone who seriously lost the plot and that is very sad ...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That was interesting as usual Opera Races.

It does make you wonder how many good records are in the vaults moldering away in Record companies everywhere.

I never pictured Sean as anything but a hard rock/metal guy, but as we've seen in abundance the last decade plus many artists/bands have put out softer versions of their own material, sort of let's them break the chains for a bit before getting back to what made them famous.

I loved my Mom a lot, but would never have allowed her to manage my career no matter what, that seems to go badly far more often than it does succeed at least from what I've seen over the years.

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score
I've been a fan of Diamond Head since 1987. I'm not gonna lie discovered them through Metallica's covers of there songs. But I had a older cousin who had all there albums on vinyl. Lightning To The Nations still my favourite album. But I do own all there newer albums starting with Death And Progress. Highly under rated album. Been recently really getting into Canterbury

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
After Diamond Head (Brian Tatler & Sean Harris) split up for the first time, in 1985, Sean Harris and Robin George formed a band called Notorious. A s/t album Notorious was released in 1990. In addition a single, The SWALK, was also released in 1990. The way the tracks on the Notorious album were mixed was not as the songs were originally intended. Due to problems at the record company, the Notorious album was deleted soon after release.

4254024.jpg

Robin George & Sean Harris - Notorious - The SWALK

The original Notorious recordings were re-issued in 2010 on an album called Notorious - Radio Silence.

8303182.jpg

Otherwise (and this is leaving out the *DRAMA* I have largely avoided going into) while Sean by certain accounts is continually writing songs, nothing by him has been released nor has he been involved in any other projects with public output that I know of.

Wow, I'd never even heard of this one! I'll admit to knowing nothing about Robin George aside from his Sweet Revenge album with Glenn Hughes (Which is very good), so it seems I'll have to correct this pretty soon. I'm happy to see Harris lending his talent to some slick AOR, I always felt his voice went really well on the poppier moments of Canterbury.

Thanks Opera Races, this one's shot straight up the to-do list!

Privately, as far as I am concerned, and putting it politely, Sean is someone who seriously lost the plot and that is very sad ...

So, is Harris not a particularly good person, or does he have some rather serious personal issues?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.