Detroit,MI Motor City Rock & Roll

rtbuck

Reaction score
Motor City Rock & Roll

I was sitting back yesterday listening to Detroit’s (Mitch Ryder) cover of the Velvet Underground’s “Rock & Roll” which is a tremendous cover with a similar vibe to Mountain’s “Mississippi Queen” when I started thinking about the whole Detroit scene of the late 60’s through the early/mid 70’s. No, I wasn’t a part of that scene & have never even been to Detroit but I’ve read enough info on the scene to make me wish I was in my teens back then hanging out seeing the many bands.

For starters arguably the Greatest Rock & Roll magazine to ever hit the stands…Creem Magazine were launched from Detroit led by popular music critics/writers such as Lester Bangs & Dave Marsh among others.

The Bands that were launched from the Detroit, MI area consisted of different types of bands that in the end had one thing in common…High Energy Rock & Roll. The bands that I’m referring to are: The MC5, The Frost(featuring Dick Wagner who later teamed up with Alice Cooper, Lou Reed, Tim Curry, Mark Farner, & also played guitar on Aerosmith’s version of Train Kept a Rollin’), Bob Seger, The Stooges (Iggy), Grand Funk, Mitch Ryder,Brownsville Station, Ted Nugent & even Alice Cooper (Alice was born in Detroit but grew up in Phoenix where he started his band. The band moved to California but moved to Detroit in 1970 & called it Home)

The Stooges:

Mitch Ryder's Detroit

Brownsville Station

MC5:

Ted Nugent:

The Frost:

Grand Funk:

Bob Seger:

Alice Cooper:

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Iggy, MC5, Uncle Ted and Alice - I love em.

Grand Funk Railroad were a top band too.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Down n Dirty Detroit baby... cars, leathers, chicks, sour whisky and guitar music... Heaven!
Just a few of my faves from the general locale.
These were the blasters in clubland.
( checkout Rock n Roll Music song.)
Frost - Fifteen Hundred Miles Through The Eyes Of A Beatle.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.