An Awesome Dude
Reaction score
My favourite albums are

Machine Head
Who Do We Think We Are

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Just came across this video. Not sure how I ended up here as the previous vid was something by Northern Kings.

Anyway, this band has a handful of vids like this out there, I've seen a few of them and they do a pretty good job playing covers of some big classic rock bands. Supposedly, they play these medleys without any cuts, breaks or splicing of the vid. Just straight through from start to finish.

Perfect Strangers ~ Highway Star ~ I'm Not Your Lover ~ The Well Dressed Guitar ~ Child in Time ~ Burn ~ Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming

Cozy 4ever

Reaction score
I don't like to rip on poor old Steve Morse, but to me they will never be Purple w/o Blackmore. I know the guy is a real powder keg, but I wish they had managed to work things out together. JMO.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
While there's no doubt that the albums Blackmore plays on are my favourites, I'm way past the point of crying over the past. Steve has been in the band a lot longer than Ritchie ever was and he is a phenomenal guitarist. On the top of that, the band has been on fire with their past two releases.

E-Z

Reaction score
I don't like to rip on poor old Steve Morse, but to me they will never be Purple w/o Blackmore. I know the guy is a real powder keg, but I wish they had managed to work things out together. JMO.
I must admit I basically ignored Deep Purple after 'the man in black' departed the band back in 1993 and purposely avoided the Steve Morse era albums for many years and it was only a month ago that I decided to buy Rapture In The Deep & Now What! and after listening to them both I thought the songs sounded pretty strong BUT Deep Purple to me will always be the 1970s MkII, MkIII & MkIV versions of the 'proper' Deep Purple along with maybe the 1980s re-formed version of the band that I like.

Personally speaking back in the late 1990s I would have liked to have seen the MkIII version of the band having re-formed with the Blackmore. Coverdale, Hughes, Lord & Paice line up and for a short time there was some indications that it mite have happened but obviously it didn't.

E-Z

Marbles

Reaction score
Today I chanced upon "The House of Blue Light" as I flicked through my record collection. After the initial burst of enthusiasm, when it came out, it has been one of the albums that I'm rarely drawn to and tend to think of as being one of the weaker Purple efforts.

In recent years I tend to listen to the classic 70s Mk II, Mk III and Mk IV albums or the most recent couple (with, occasionally, "Live At The Olympia" thrown in for good measure). All of the "reunion" albums with Ritchie tend to get overlooked.

I have to say that I'd completely forgotten what good fun "House of Blue Light" is. There are a couple of dodgy moments but actually, in retrospect, it hangs together pretty well. "Call of the Wild" and "The Spanish Archer" have always been two of my favourite tracks but, as an album, it's not half as bad as I remember. Even the Gillan-esque thrash of "Dead or Alive" sounds pretty good to me now.

Perhaps it's the fact that, these days, we're starved of REALLY good rock bands that is making me appreciate HoBL more now? I think that I might even give it another listen!

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
I must admit I basically ignored Deep Purple after 'the man in black' departed the band back in 1993 and purposely avoided the Steve Morse era albums for many years and it was only a month ago that I decided to buy Rapture In The Deep & Now What! and after listening to them both I thought the songs sounded pretty strong BUT Deep Purple to me will always be the 1970s MkII, MkIII & MkIV versions of the 'proper' Deep Purple along with maybe the 1980s re-formed version of the band that I like.

Personally speaking back in the late 1990s I would have liked to have seen the MkIII version of the band having re-formed with the Blackmore. Coverdale, Hughes, Lord & Paice line up and for a short time there was some indications that it mite have happened but obviously it didn't.

E-Z
Purpendicular and Abandon are the two best Morse era albums IMO. They've definitely established a sound with Morse.

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
Purpendicular and Abandon are the two best Morse era albums IMO. They've definitely established a sound with Morse.
I have the Purpendicular album but I've only ever listened to it about three times all the way through because if I listen to Deep Purple I usually listen to the MkIII Blackmore/Coverdale/Hughes/Lord/Paice version of the band and usually Burn, Stormbringer, Made In Europe & The Last Concerts In Europe cd although I do listen to the MkII Blackmore/Gillan/Glover/Lord/Paice version of the band and usually the re-mixed Machine Head, Made In Japan/Live In Japan x3 cds & Who Do We Think We Are. As for Abandon I remember seeing it in the cd rakes on several occasions a few years ago but I couldn't muster the interesting in forking out the money on buying it.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Deep Purple MkII Blackmore/Gillan/Glover/Lord/Paice and Who Do We Think We Are album from 1973.

The album Who Do We Think We Are was possibly considered a 'weak album' in the DP canon of work falling as it does between the studio albums Machine Head & Burn and the live album Made In Japan but in actual fact I have always thought it was a good album to listen to with mostly a good number of good tracks on the album that include on side one Woman From Tokyo, Mary Long, Super Trooper & Smooth Dancer and on side two opening with Rat Bat Blue a pretty good track then after Rat Bat Blue the quality dips a bit with the last two rather long'ish numbers being both Place In Line & Our Lady sounding a bit like 'filler' to my ears but both Place In Line & Our Lady are interesting tracks in some ways if the listener listens to them but in my opinion they should have included Painted Horse on side two as well because Painted Horse is actually a pretty good song in my humble opinion.

Apparently the album was recorded under difficult circumstances with neither Blackmore and Gillan talking to each other during the whole recording sessions also I heard that Ritchie didn't like the song Painted Horse so that probably accounts for why the track didn't make the final album selection.

Last edited:

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
I often wondered why Painted Horse wasn't included since there is only seven songs on the album. Anyway, it's my least favorite of the Mark II albums. I was never a fan of Our Lady or Mary Long. Rat Bat Blue is one of Blackmore's coolest riffs but I think he should laid down a guitar solo for the song. I actually like Place In Line because, although he claims blues is limiting, Blackmore is a monster blues player when he wants to be and that solo is great the way it builds.

Reactions: E-Z

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online