David Gilmour - "On An Island"

Buff

~going mobile~
Reaction score
Re: David Gilmour ‘On An Island’

Well, I was hesitant to say this, but I believe it is Gilmour that's holding back the most, something about the "giant commercial machine" and all the scads of $$$$ that classic bands are raking in by performing. Gilmour doesn't want any part of that, but found it interesting that he's going out on his own later on this year. ???

They have to know that a tour would be the biggest on any bill any where in the world, despite the $$$. People want to hear them again, all of them. Floyd is one of those bands you just have to experience live. I saw Delicate Sound of Thunder and even tho it was sans Waters, it was absolutely incredible. Even the nosebleed seats were terrific. Show sold out in two hours, 80K+ seats.

Maybe Gilmour would consider doing a Niel Young, and putting a cap on ticket prices if he so concerned about ****** the public. Dunno.....?????

newdawnfades

Reaction score

You have to consider what kind of commitment a 'Floyd tour' would be. As well, at their age they have a choice to go on tour and have some fun or bring Waters along and it become another ugly experience. I heard Waters in interviews after the Live8 event and he talked about Live8 as if he had to bite his tongue a bit too much just to get onstage with Gilmour and the other guys. Imagine an entire tour.

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

I all reality, I don't know that a Gilmour solo tour would be that huge a draw. Sure, it would do well, but it certainly wouldn't draw the numbers that a Floyd tour would. I applaud Gilmour if he is more interested in doing his own thing, even if it means not making floyd type money. I am sure he does alright, and glad to see he doesn't use the Floyd name as a cash cow like so many other bands do.

newdawnfades

Reaction score

I think Gilmour is well past performing just for money. If you'd seen his latest live DVD that was released, you could tell he was having fun, and that's all that really mattered.

Waters pretty much sealed his fate with that interview. He could have tried to build off of the good will from Live8, but to say what he did right after an event like that? I think Gilmour could see that nothing had really changed.

Last edited:

Big Generator

Reaction score

Gearjammer said:
I all reality, I don't know that a Gilmour solo tour would be that huge a draw. Sure, it would do well, but it certainly wouldn't draw the numbers that a Floyd tour would. I applaud Gilmour if he is more interested in doing his own thing, even if it means not making floyd type money. I am sure he does alright, and glad to see he doesn't use the Floyd name as a cash cow like so many other bands do.

I agree. His previous solo album/tour was pretty low-key.

As for Floyd...well, Gilmour is a sixty year old multi-millionaire, a decent guy with nothing to prove...so why would he want to spend one or two years of his life with someone as charmless and difficult as Waters? Especially since Floyd managed perfectly well without him.

newdawnfades

Reaction score

That's pretty much what it comes down to. Waters was only useful for his lyrical creativity and the concepts he developed. But the material is already there. Musically Waters didn't provide anything that couldn't be had elsewhere. They don't need Waters to tour under the name Floyd. They could make just as much money touring without the guy, minus the tension.

So the ball has always been in Waters court.

Last edited:

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

I did see an interview with Gilomour quite a while back, well before the whole Live 8 business, and he talked of various projects he had going on, that left him with little time, or interest, in Pink floyd. IMO that's the mark of a serious musician, doing things that involve fresh creativity, rather than resting on the laurels of the past. I really respect the fact that someone will do something that interests them, despite, perhaps, limited commercial appeal, instead of seizing yet another opportunity to pad their bank account even further.

H

halcyon days

Gearjammer said:
I get the feeling the animosity between Waters and Gilmour runs far deeper than any spats Keith and Mick had. There was a lot of nasty legal wrangling between the two of them over the use of the Pink Floyd name.

P.S. Halcyon, where are you located?

Gearjammer, my family is in Boston

newdawnfades

Reaction score

Once again I lament at the fact that they get a year older and no reunion is in the works. I am looking forward to hearing the new album. I wonder how the old voice is holding up.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online