Covers, uncovers, remakes, etc.

Reaction score
Another 1963 song that was covered years later

From Janis Joplin's final album, Pearl, in 1971:

The original was done by Garnet Mimms and The Enchanters. It topped the R&B charts and reached # 4 on Billboard

doswizard

"If you are going through hell, keep going"
Reaction score
Sometimes silence is damnation..

The Sound of Silence - Damnation

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
Another Jim Steinman Power ballad. The original, from his project "Pandora's Box". This is an incredible, over-the-top video.

The version that became a hit. Celine Dion is, by definition, over-the-top.

Yet another version, by Meat Loaf, turned into a duet.

Old Dude

Reaction score
There's been a lot of ridiculous bullshit going around about this alleged "Christmas" song. I don't get it. It has nothing to do with Christmas. There are dozens and dozens of songs about winter weather that have nothing to do with Christmas. But they used to overplay this every year, till some asshole feminist decided it was about date rape. Here's a small sampling of some versions of it. Most of them are only listenable it you really love retro music.

Old Dude

Reaction score
The "original", by The First Edition.

A Live cover by the First Edition, not lip synced.

A live uncover by Mickey Newberry, who wrote the song.

The Second Uncover, recorded for the closing theme over the credits of True Detective, Season 3, Episode 1.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Reaction score
This is the true original, never-released demo version.

This is the "original" hit.

The "original" got a lot of praise. It was an American pop group competing with the Beatles. The production team included many of the Wrecking Crew. Snuff Garrett and Leon Russell were behind the arrangement.

Recorded first, but released at almost the same time, this failed to move up the charts.

This was a throwaway album cut, released on a Decca "sampler" album. Back in the 60's, ,it wasn't uncommon for labels to release promo albums of songs they were pushing. This went absolutely nowhere. Not surprising.

I'll spare everyone the Alvin and the Chipmunks version. You're welcome.

Here's the ultimate "cover", recorded by one of the guys who wrote the song in the first place, done as he intended for it to be done. The other two writers were Bob Brass and Irwin Levine.

Old Dude

Reaction score
The best quality recording I've found of the late Dick Dale's cover of "Miserlou".

Miserlou was an old Middle Eastern pop song. The earliest version was recorded in 1927. This is it.

Harry James released this version in 1941.

A lot of people don't know that Dick Dale (real name Richard Anthony Monsour) was of Lebanese descent from his father and Polish/Belarusian descent from his mother. Much of his playing style used riffs and rhythms taken from Greek and Middle Eastern music.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online