Register to remove these ads

Covers, uncovers, remakes, etc.

Discussion in 'Rock Lounge' started by Old Dude, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Old Dude

Old Dude I do not suffer fools gladly.

Bob Dylan used the term "uncover" in an interview to describe a new version of previously released song that uncovered new nuances and meanings in the music. He mentioned the Jimi Hendrix version of his All Along the Watchtower as a remake that inspired him to change the way he performed his own song in concert! This thread is intended to be a place to post an original and a remake that was a change from the original, to one degree or another. I present this example for your amusement.

The original, never was a hit.

The hit

A bonus, a live track that was never on a studio recording (to the best of my knowledge).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    SanguineRemedy likes this.
  2. Old Dude

Here's another multi-song list:

The original, performed by Joan Baez, but written by Anne Bredon.

First Major remake, early record release by this band. Went nowhere.

Another 1965 version, I had never heard of until I looked up the first two.

You've probably heard this one before.

And finally, this one.

Lynch and Jake T like this.
  3. Aero

Aero Senior Member

What does that twat, Miley Cyrus, have to do with producing an original version of the song? Sounds like she's doing a lame cover of Zeppelins's version.

4. Old Dude

Not every post is intended to be a positive example. Negative examples are just as welcome. Different isn't always better, often it's worse. As bad as her version was, I don't think it sank to the same depths as the one by Mark Wynter.

Truth is, Miley Cyrus is a twat. But, though a twat, she can really sing. Some of her recordings are really excellent. I don't think it's right to judge the quality of a particular recording of a song by how much of a twat or douchebag the artist is. If that was true, we could never listen to anything with Ritchie Blackmore playing on it, could we?

5. Aero

Aero Senior Member

The fact that I don't like her as a person did not color my judgement of her song. I said that her version wasn't original which was the point of your thread.

I thought the other two covers were different than the Joan Baez original while that Illuminati puppet, Miley, didn't do anything but try to mimic Zeppelin.

6. Slowhand

Slowhand Senior Member

7. Big Ears

Big Ears Music Lover

Mickey Newbury's I Wish I Was by Gamma, which is really Ronnie Montrose and Davey Pattison. The band do not really change the vocal arrangement, but exploit the natural dynamics of the song, for example emphasising the lyrical introduction. It sounds like BS, but it is true.

8. Big Ears

Big Ears Music Lover

Jesse Colin Young's Darkness, Darkness by Mott the Hoople. Mick Ralphs' version keeps the arrangement but is heavier and bluesier. Jesse Colin Young's original is more psychedelic, which sounds a bit dated now. Mott do not sound dated at all imo.

9. Old Dude

The point of the thread is "covers, uncovers, and remakes". The degree of difference isn't the only criteria.

10. SanguineRemedy

SanguineRemedy Bloody bliss!

@Aero

Now I'm just thinking of all of the musicians in rock music that are still world renowned and brilliant despite being condescending and pretentious sacks of shit. Roger Waters comes to mind...

I like the idea of this thread. I will find something for proper contribution...

bbif likes this.