Covers, uncovers, remakes, etc.

Reaction score
I bought this Art Of Noise album specially for their Peter Gunn cover. Duane Eddy played guitar

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
The original, which frankly, wasn't all that good.

Some folks claim this is really the original.

Some of the covers, in no particular order.

Old Dude

Reaction score
From Bat Out of Hell

A country version

Another country version, from a live in concert amateur recording.

Some old dude in his office with a 12 string

Bonus video, Jim Steinman talking about this song.

Neshabur

Reaction score
This sad song written and sung by Tim Hardin:

There is a cover played by The Nice featuring the great Keith Emerson.

There are two versions; this one recorded at studio included in The Nice (1969):

And this other recorded live at Fillmore East in NYC, released in the posthomous album Elegy (1970):

Last edited:

Neshabur

Reaction score
Laura Nyro
The original, by Donovan, when "classic rock" was a much, much bigger tent.

Then, one of the best impromptu jam versions ever recorded. Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield were working on an album to be called "Super Session". On the second day of the two-day session, Bloomfield was too strung out to even show up. Kooper called Steve Stills to come over at the last minute, and this is one of the songs they laid down.

Vanilla Fudge carved out a niche for themselves doing ultra psychedelic covers of popular songs. They had a huge radio airplay hit with their cover of the Holland-Dozier-Holland Motown classic, You Keep Me Hanging On, recorded by the Supremes. This wasn't as big a hit.

Finally, a chick singer who was well known in the UK, and almost unknown in the states.

Awesome song!

I'd like to suggest this other cover by the soul singer Lou Rawls:

Neshabur

Reaction score
Laura Nyro, really a silky voice in He's A Runner from More Than A New Discovery (1967):

Blood Sweat &Tears from Blood, Sweat And Tears 3 (1970):

Old Dude

Reaction score
Original

Professional cover, by the Queens of the Squashed Bosoms (AKA "Celtic Woman")

A similar cover by the male version of Celtic Woman.

A cover by some old dude, who is wearing a stupid looking hat.

Reaction score
The fact that I don't like her as a person did not color my judgement of her song. I said that her version wasn't original which was the point of your thread.

I thought the other two covers were different than the Joan Baez original while that Illuminati puppet, Miley, didn't do anything but try to mimic Zeppelin.

Maybe Myley SoreArse (lol) was trying to do a version of the Led Zepplin cover or uncover as Bob Dylan put it, as she doesn't have the years behind her as other artists she may have only heard or someone played the Zepplin version, and she thought she'd cover it.

Anyway, in my eyes (or ears), Cover, Uncover, or Remake, they can never be original as the original was the 1st, they are exactly what Old Dude has named them, Cover, Uncover, or Remake!

Old Dude

Reaction score
Anyway, in my eyes (or ears), Cover, Uncover, or Remake, they can never be original as the original was the 1st, they are exactly what Old Dude has named them, Cover, Uncover, or Remake!

Actually, one of the points of starting this thread was to point out how many really excellent songs were, in fact, covers of original versions that weren't all that good. None of the three prior versions of "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" were as good as Led Zeppelin's cover. Jackie DeShannon's original version of "Bette Davis Eyes" wasn't as good as the Kim Carnes remake. And for many songs, the "original" was just a songwriter's demo version.

For example, this is the original of "All Things Must Pass", by the Beatles. They didn't think it good enough to even release.

This is the "cover" by George Harrison, who actually wrote the song.

And this is a tribute cover, by Paul McCartney

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online