Covers, uncovers, remakes, etc.

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score

This is an unusual example. The video above is the original, when Heidi, a lyric coloratura, was lead singer of the band. When she was replaced by Capri, a dramatic soprano, the band released a new CCD called Re-Evolution with Capri's vocals replacing Heidi's. This is a somewhat rare event. Below is Capri's version over the exact came instrumental tracks.

The songs from Re-Evolution are some of the only examples of how simply changing the vocalist can make a major difference in the overall sound of a song.

Old Dude

Reaction score
This is a similar example. The first is the hit version of the song, in the "director's cut" version that leaves out the nudity.

This is a version with a male singer and a very similar instrumental backing, though a little bit heavier.

Personally, neither one is among my favorite songs, but they are interesting. The latter song turns the pop song into a power-ballad.

Old Dude

Reaction score
This is a pairing of a well-known original with an obscure, YouTube only video by a Broadway singer.

This is just a leather-lunged singer with a piano.

That style of over-the-top vocal isn't everyone's preference, but I really like it.

Old Dude

Reaction score
The last one I'm posting tonight. The first is a live recording that sounds easily as good as the studio version. It's one of my favorite songs, by one of my favorite bands.

This is a cover by the same band, from their tour An Acoustic Night at the Theater.

This is a THIRD version by the same band, performed live at a Dutch Radio station.

And this fourth version is a fourth-rate amateur original cover done by some old dude at an open mic night. You might notice that he forget to take the price tag off of his shirt.

Old Dude

Reaction score
Here's an obscure pair. The first was by a one-hit wonder band, and this was their hit. It wasn't a big hit, but the blonde girl singer with the formidable figure went on to something of a career as a punk rocker.

This cover was by an Aussie girl band who got back together after breaking up many years earlier. Basically, they broke up as young chickie babes, and reunited as MILFs.

If I had access to stills of these ladies, I'd put them in the sexy women thread.

And yes, I know, these are pop songs, not classic rock. So sue me. I have eclectic tastes.

Old Dude

Reaction score
Here's a major restyling of an excellent song. The original needs no introduction.

This one is both different, and yet surprisingly similar.

Old Dude

Reaction score
Though a big hit, this is an incredibly maudlin, syrupy love song.

These guys fixed it.

And for the record, some of the best covers and just plain great songs are on the Sons of Anarchy soundtrack. Just do a search for "Sons of Anarchy" on YouTube. That's how I discovered two of my now favorite artists, White Buffalo and Audra Mae.

Old Dude

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when girl groups were first a thing. This was the day of the Phil Spector "wall of sound", and groups like The Angels, The Chiffons, The Supremes, and others. The Shangri-Las were among the others.

Jeff Beck is one of the guitar gods from the 60's. He was in the Yardbirds before Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton. He was one of the top British session players. And 40 years later, he still had it. Imelda May was an Irish rockabilly singer, almost unknown outside of the UK.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Staff online

Members online