Coldplay (Official Thread)

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Yet another new song, 'Magic'.

New album 'Ghost Stories' to be released 19 May 2014.

This new song is not bad. At least it's better than Midnight. :D

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you - after three listens I think Magic is a pretty decent pop song, not so sure about the hip-hop influenced drumbeat but I like the guitar and piano parts. Something about it reminds me of some of their earlier songs, I can't put my finger on why, although I think it seems a bit more stripped back than most of their more recent work. I am relieved they've not gone any further along the Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall/Princess Of China road, though.

I am intrigued by their new album, I notice that there's only nine songs listed (fewer than on any of their previous albums), which seems short for a modern album, so it's possible there could be some long tracks or hidden songs (they did this on Parachutes and Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends). I'm also intrigued by the title of the closing track, which has simply been given as 'O' - a single letter track name, very unusual.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Yeah I'm also intrigued by the short tracklisting and oddly titled final track. Hope we get an interesting album that is not experimental for the sake of being experimental but yet pushes their boundaries. :grinthumb

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Although I think Magic is an improvement on Midnight, I wouldn't say it was in the same league as the very best Coldplay songs (e.g. The Scientist, Fix You, Shiver). I'm still reserving judgement on Ghost Stories, although my expectations aren't that high after Mylo Xyloto so I'm unlikely to be too disappointed.

Another thing I really like about Coldplay is the quality of some of their B-sides - I though I would share some of these in case you haven't already heard them:
Brothers & Sisters (B-side to Trouble)

Although this song was previously included on an earlier EP, I think this is definitely the best version of this track - the earlier version is less powerful and lacks the extended intro, and sounds like a band who don't quite know their forte yet - the vocals and guitar are also superior on this version.

One I Love (B-side to In My Place)

I have a little story about this guitar rocker - last year I burned a CD containing 18 Coldplay song from the first four albums, mainly including their hits or stand-out album tracks (like Square One, or Death And All His Friends) but I also included this track, which quickly became one of my family's favourite Coldplay songs.

I Ran Away (B-side to The Scientist)

An excellent atmospheric song which wouldn't have sounded at all out of place on AROBTTH.

The World Turned Upside Down (B-side to Fix You)

I kind of wish this one had been included on X&Y, it would have provided a change of pace, although I'm not sure what it would have replaced (the album was too long already, if anything).

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Yeah their B-sides are quite good!

I don't know if it is a B-side but the song Gravity is a really excellent non-album track.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I only have Parachutes & X&Y and I'm really stuck on X&Y (even my Mum likes it), I've heard another song which I think was on their Second Album which is good too.

If they do an Album with all their B-Side stuff on it, then I would certainly be interested in it.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
If you like X&Y then I think there's a good chance you'd enjoy A Rush Of Blood To The Head as well, as most of the songs across these two albums share the epic Coldplay sound, which the soft, mellow Parachutes doesn't have - songs like Sparks and We Never Change are quiet throughout. One difference is that AROBTTH features noticeably more piano than the other two, as it's the lead instrument on The Scientist, Clocks and Amsterdam, and features prominently in a few other tracks.

I really like all three of the early albums - I consider AROBTTH to be the best but the quality of tracks is generally very consistent across the three albums. I think AROBTTH has the widest range of different songs, Parachutes flows best as an album and X&Y is the most consistent in terms of song quality (at just over an hour in length the album is a probably a bit long from an artist point of view, but I think it's difficult to pick out any song as being an obvious candidate for cutting out).

Overall I'd said AROBTTH is an album of two halves - the first half (the opening five songs) include all the major hits and provides in my opinion probably the best sequence of tracks on any Coldplay album, the latter half (tracks 6-11) is less immediate but also excellent, with a number of songs which differ from the band's norm, such as the largely acoustic Green Eyes, unrelentingly intense A Whisper and dark storytelling of the title track.

I agree that Gravity is a good track, although it's a bit of an unusual case as Chris Martin wrote the song but then gave it to another band (Embrace) who had a major hit with it - Coldplay then included their own slower, more ambient version on the Talk single. I'm not aware of any official B-sides collection on CD, though I think there was a vinyl release entitled 'The Singles - 1999-2006' which covered all the singles from Parachutes through to X&Y, plus the Blue Room and Brothers & Sisters EPs.

bbif

Reaction score
Although Magic sounds a lot like Chris recorded a demo in his spare bedroom - complete with drum machine - and didn't do a whole lot else to it afterwards - I really like it.

Very chilled, simple melody. Nice late-night listening

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online

No members online now.