Coldplay (Official Thread)

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
True Love - Not a particular favourite, don't really like the synths on this one. Also don't like the prominent use of 'tell me you love me' - just sounds like self-plagiarism to me from a superior older song (The Scientist). From reading the reviews of this, this apparently features a weird guitar solo at the end which seems to have split people.

Listening to the album online right now. That solo at the end sounds terrible and out of tune. lol.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Tend to agree with the comments about Coldplay's albums, the first four are all enjoyable to me, but with Mylo Xyloto I only decided to download the two songs I really liked (Charlie Brown and Us Against The World), although I also got Paradise from my sister (I actually quite like it, apart from the electronic drums and synths it does have the band's sound, to my ears at least, and I like it when the guitar enters near the end).

I also agree about Ghost Story the song, it's recognisably Coldplay without feeling too unoriginal for them - I think if you substituted this for 'A Sky Full Of Stars' you would not only have a more cohesive album, but one where the best tracks were towards the end of the album. Also, it's a lot more guitar orientated than most of the album tracks, which would have provided a natural change of pace and tone. Unfortunately the deluxe edition of Ghost Stories, with three additional tracks (including Ghost Story) only seems to available from Target.com, although I've read it may become more widely available six months from now.

I checked out the True Love solo as well, I can certainly see where the comments are coming from (it's no Comfortably Numb for sure, and it doesn't really fit the song either) but alas I'm tone deaf and therefore unable to hear how badly out of tune it is. :blush:

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Thought it would be worth flagging an update for anyone interested in the extra tracks from the most recent Coldplay album - the three bonus tracks on the Target edition (All Your Friend, Ghost Story and O (Reprise)) have been released for download as part of the A Sky Full Of Stars EP:

Coldplay: News - A Sky Full Of Stars EP out now!

Unfortunately, according to this the EP isn't available in the US, and it sounds as though no physical copy will be released (not totally clear from reading this).

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, mate. I was looking at the album in the local record store the other day, wondering when the bonus tracks were going to be available. I'm a little bit disappointed with them being released on a digital EP. I never have and never will pay for anything else than a physical copy, so I guess I'll have to wait and see if they decide to release a physical copy at some point, reissue the full album with the bonus tracks or if I can get hold of the US version with the bonus tracks!

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I listened to Parachutes today for the first time in a good while and was reminded about just how good it is. Yellow is usually cited as the highlight of the album (I wouldn't disagree, I always enjoy the guitar riff) but Shiver and Trouble are both excellent singles, while Everything's Not Lost is a nice closer while Spies, Sparks and High Speed are all underrated. Overall I think it's a warm, welcoming mellow listen, enhanced by that lovely orange globe on the album cover.

I repeated my personal favourite Don't Panic, as I nearly always do when I play the album - it's such a beautiful track but also so short!

Hearing the debut again it feels hard to believe they're the same band really, their music back then was so much more understated - Ghost Stories may be more restrained than their previous three albums but it's still very production heavy compared to Parachutes, which is quite minimalistic in places. Parachutes feels more natural too, not just in the sense that they sounded like a real band back then but also they didn't seem to be trying as hard to be massive.

The more I think about it Coldplay's decline started with X&Y, which is really quite a perplexing album - on one hand the use of synthesisers on virtually all of the tracks gives it a different feel from its predecessors, yet the style of songs is virtually the same (the similarities between Speed of Sound and Clocks are the most obvious, but also see What If and The Scientist) while the songwriting and vocals on X&Y are a step down from A Rush Of Blood to the Head. The tunes are still there for the most part but it does feel like Coldplay were making the songs people expected them to make rather than expanding their repertoire. By contrast Rush Of Blood, which remains their best IMO, saw the band write songs which sounded nothing like those on Parachutes, like God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, A Whisper or indeed Clocks (it may have become overfamiliar later, but it wasn't like anything they'd done before at the time).

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online