Classic Rock Radio Overplayed songs.

Most overplayed song on Classic Rock Radio?

• Stairway To Heaven ~ Led Zeppelin

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Free Bird ~ Lynyrd Skynyrd

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Money ~ Pink Floyd

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Don't Stop Believin' ~ Journey

• Born To Run ~ Bruce Springsteen & The E. Street Band

• Other (Name it)

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I have always been fascinated by regional airplay habits. I am in Texas, so there is a lot of emphasis on "southern" rock, which explains the LS, but I thought that Journey song had a universal "played to death" vibe about it, no matter where you lived. :heheh:

Unsure how song selection works with Radio Stations. I think when a radio station has to deal with the classics, they seem to run with a music poll to find out what people want to hear, so when popular songs which top the list, they probably tend to be overplayed. The station I listen to has music polls along with a website where people can approve/disapprove songs, which more or less come up at random and you get 15 songs to pick or something, I tried making requests and even suggested songs which were hits, but didn't make a difference which I thought was annoying.
In terms of music that gets played, I would say we hear quite a bit from the UK & US, Australian musicians gets a little bit of a look in and I've heard some interesting stuff, though there is a lot of Local Australian stuff which was popular in it's day which probably doesn't get a great look at these days with other well known songs which have been popular through the ages still being played.
But the station I listen to had to undergo a series of changes due to rival radio stations, so they decided to play some 80s music, unfortunately some of it is rubbish & even some rap music got onto their music schedule as well. I only way I can tackle it is to switch the radio off.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Born to Be Wild was a bit of a popular song to play here, I liked Magic Carpet Ride because it was played less often even though I don't mind BTBW

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Born to Be Wild was a bit of a popular song to play here, I liked Magic Carpet Ride because it was played less often even though I don't mind BTBW

Agreed, Born to be Wild is an amazing tune, but I always thought Magic Carpet Ride was a better crafted song.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Although I agree those tracks listed are overplayed, that hasn't put me off any of them. Same goes for the other tracks mentioned throughout this thread. I bought the album 'A Night at the Opera' on it's release in 1975, but I've got to tell you I am sick to death of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' - definitely has me reaching for the off button.

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
Any song from Boston's first album. Just sick of it. :pullhair:

Haha!
smiley1277_zps090d2d8f.gif
Right on!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member