Register to remove these ads

Chuck Berry (Official Thread)

Discussion in '50's Music' started by Flower, Jun 25, 2010.

1. rtbuck

rtbuck Senior Member

Re: Chuck Berry ~ Appreciation Thread

As I said on my previous post I would buy albums by anyone if they covered a Chuck Berry Tune (even 38 Special's debut because they covered "Around & Around") but it also worked the opposite too. I picked up the 'Move it on Over' album by George Thorogood back in the late 70's & my favorite song on the album was 'It Wasn't Me'. I seen Berry wrote it so I had to search for Chuck's version.

Another song I discovered like that was 'Tulane' by Joan Jett off of her 'I Hate Myself for Loving You' album. I loved the song but for years never paid too much attention to the lyrics. On Berry's version you can really make out the lyrics & it is a great story about 2 drug dealers (Johnny & his girl Tulane) who opened a novelty shop. One day the narcs busted the 2 in the shop but Tulane escaped & apparently sold the stuff & paid off the Judge. Unfortunately, on another tune titled 'Have Mercy Judge' Johnny gets busted again & sent away . Meanwhile he wants Tulane to go on with her life despite their love because as he puts it "She's too Alive to live alone"

2. rtbuck

rtbuck Senior Member

I made up a list of Chuck Berry tunes that have that similar guitar riff intro which is legendary. ("Down the Road Appiece" was close but was a little off)

Johnny B. Goode
    Jo Jo Gunne
    Sweet Little Rock & Roller
    Run Rudolph Run
    Little Queenie
    Back in the USA
    Let it Rock
    Bye Bye Johnny
    Promised Land
    Dear Dad
    It Wasn't Me
    Tulane
    Reelin & a Rockin (Live Versions)
    Roll Over Beethoven
    Carol
    House of Blue Lights
    I Will Not Let You Go
    London Berry Blues
    Guitar Boogie
    Go Bobby Soxer
    St. Louis Blues
    Shake Rattle & Roll
    My Mustang Ford
    Ain't That Just Like a Woman

3. Flower

Flower retired

I don't know the song 'Tulane' but when I saw 'Tulane' my first thought was Chuck Berry wrote a song about Tulane University? How cool .... Go green wave .... (they have decent basketball teams but almost always suck in football)

Chuck Berry's 'Tulane' not the university ...

Here's Joan's version

4. Recky

Recky Senior Member

Like most of my favourite 50s musos, i can lay the discovery thereof at my uncles feet, he was a mad Chuck Berry fan and his fave tune is now my fave tune is LET IT ROCK and a while back I found a Live at the BBC gig that played on ABC sydney back in the day ...here it is

Lynch likes this.
  5. Recky

Recky Senior Member

Having said that how good a tune is “Big Boys”

6. E-Z

E-Z Senior Member

A quote from Keith Richards regarding Chuck Berry-

"I stole every guitar lick."

With that in mind you could have at least shown up at Chuck's funeral and carried the casket you mutha Keith.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  7. Hurdy Gurdy Man

Hurdy Gurdy Man Senior Member

The fact that Richards among others(Led Zeppelin)had to "steal" or alter so many guitar licks in order to keep their R7B futures intact is exactly why I go with the Beatles as my favorite group.There's only so much you can do with usual three chord-bridge blues-rock.Variations on the theme have been done to death while the Fabs' were much more willing to expand on more original compositional form.This is why McCartney has been compared so many times to the great classical composers.And quite justifiably........................