Christian Music?

tkitna

Reaction score
Anybody listen to Christian music by chance? I'm the drummer for my churches worship team and I love a bunch of it. Theres some really good stuff out there. Some of my favorites would be-

Natalie Grant (maybe the greatest female voice of all time)
Chris Tomlin
Casting Crowns
Kutless
Aaron Shust
Hillsong United
Newsboys
Jeremy Camp
etc,,,

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Ashton, Gardner and Dyke were famous for The Resurrection Shuffle and had connections with George Harrison and Jon Lord.

Bob Dylan has made a Christian music album, although I understand he reverted to Judaism. There is also Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky.

Ken Tamplin has been involved in Christian music and worked with Geezer Butler.

Jon Anderson uses Christian references in Yes various tracks, although the context is confusing (Close to the Edge, Holy Lamb).

ELP recorded a dynamic version of Parry and Blake's Jerusalem on Brain Salad Surgery. Many British progressive rock bands had an Anglican Protestant element from the church music they were brought up to hear, sing and play.

Cliff Richard, currently recording his 100th album of new material (according to today's TV news) was openly Christian when it was unfashionable to do so. He appears to have had some recent grizzly plastic surgery too. Philip Bailey lead singer with Earth, Wind and Fire, similarly divides his music.

Stryper made Christian music fashionable in the eighties, because they were good.

Cat Stevens started with Christian (Catholic) music, switched to Budhism and then Islam.

Tony McPhee recorded Amazing Grace for Who Will Save the World? . . . The Mighty Groundhogs.

Quintessence were a Hari Krishna band, not Christian, but I mention them anyway because they are great.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There must be 100's if not 1,000's of pieces of Christian music in the classical world alone, composers have been writing thematic pieces for centuries.

I admit I don't know much about the new rock bands who play Christian music...but I did have a good belly laugh watching the South Park episode where Eric Cartman puts his own Christian rock band together...:heheh: (No offense to anyone intended)

rtbuck

Reaction score
There must be 100's if not 1,000's of pieces of Christian music in the classical world alone, composers have been writing thematic pieces for centuries.

I admit I don't know much about the new rock bands who play Christian music...but I did have a good belly laugh watching the South Park episode where Eric Cartman puts his own Christian rock band together...:heheh: (No offense to anyone intended)

That episode was hilarious:gig but then again I do like South Park.

Of course I didn't mind Stryper and I do like Kutless & Skillet

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I like Steven Curtis Chapman and Jason Grey. :D

Lord Of The Dance~Steven Curtis Chapman

More Like Falling In Love~Jason Grey

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
I am not religious but I went with a friend to a huge Hillsong church in Sydney and the band, Hillsong United was good. I couldn't get over the number of young people attending that church. It has been described as a Pentacostal mega-church.

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
As some with pantheisic views, I don't listen to much Christian music. However, these are the few exceptions:

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I am not religious but I went with a friend to a huge Hillsong church in Sydney and the band, Hillsong United was good. I couldn't get over the number of young people attending that church. It has been described as a Pentecostal mega-church.

That's okay, I am not religious either. I am a Christian. I'm not trying to be glib with you Sunny, but there is a difference. For instance, I'm very religious about my horses, and Paul McCartney. :D For me, being a Christian simply means that I have a relationship with God through His Son, Jesus. That does NOT make me any better or less than anyone else on this forum. I am human first. Hope that makes sense. I have heard of Hillsong, but not Hillsong United, so I looked them up on You Tube.
biggrin.gif

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online