Chickenfoot to replace Chad Smith?

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth:

CHICKENFOOT To Move On Without CHAD SMITH? - Sep. 1, 2010
CHICKENFOOT, the rock supergroup featuring former VAN HALEN singer Sammy Hagar and bassist Michael Anthony, guitarist Joe Satriani and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS drummer Chad Smith, tentatively plans to record its second album this fall — but Smith might not be behind the kit this time. Hagar told The Pulse of Radio that Smith's commitments to the CHILI PEPPERS could stop him from returning to the 'FOOT. "Chad's a problem, I'm gonna tell everybody straight up," Hagar told The Pulse of Radio. "To me, Chad is CHICKENFOOT. But Chad's, you know, the CHILI PEPPERS are, they've been writing for a year and they haven't even started recording, and I just don't see a window now. 'Cause once they start recording, Chad's never gonna be able to get a break, and then when they're done with that, they're gonna go out on the road for a year and a half. So we really don't know what to do right now, but I think we're gonna probably play with a few different guys and see what happens."

CHICKENFOOT's self-titled debut disc came out in June 2009 and was certified gold for sales of more than 500,000 copies.

Smith and the CHILI PEPPERS have not released an album since 2006's "Stadium Arcadium". The band parted ways with guitarist John Frusciante last year, replacing him with Josh Klinghoffer.

Hagar, meanwhile, told Billboard.com this week that CHICKENFOOT has four songs and seven other pieces of music in the works for its sophomore effort, which they hope to start recording soon.

The band will play in Indio, California on September 10 and Stateline, Nevada on September 11, and Smith is expected to perform at both gigs.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I figured if anyone went it would be Chad as he is the only one tied up with any kind of band.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I like this but I'm biased due to being a Chili Peppers fan! I would love for a new one to come out sooner than later and personally I would rather have Van Hagar back than the drama and goofiness of a David Lee Roth/Van Halen reunion. Honestly, I have nothing bad to say about Chickenfoot itself as I haven't truly given them a listen. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Well I love David being back with Van Halen...but the drama is the part that blows. They need to get Michael back.

I know what you're saying though. It would almost be worth having Michael and Sammy back in Van Halen....and get something back to normal.

Stop the insanity. :heheh:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
A friend of mine just went to see Chickenfoot a couple of day's ago.. Said it was a awesome concert..
That would be a drag if they had to replace Chad because he fits the band really well.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe Chickenfoot will have time to wrap up all the music for their second album before Chad gets tied up with RHCP recording sessions. I read that Chickenfoot has 3 songs completed and 7 more ready for their 2nd album.

RHCP has just now went into the studio to work on their new album, and they dont plan on this album to be ready until sometime in 2011, so maybe Chad can finish this album with Chickenfoot before he exits the band.

(I hope so anyway)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^All is not lost, Mike Portnoy is now available.:drums:

That is one of the risks of doing these kind of collaborations, everything has to mesh perfectly to fit with all the various artists and their other commitments.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Staff online

Members online