Canada Day

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
My grandfather was a prisoner of the Japanese after being captured at the fall of Singapore. When he was eventually released, following the defeat of the Japanese, along with the other British PoWs, he was brought back across Canada to be washed and fed. He loved Canada and wanted to return with my grandmother and my mother (who was still a child). No-one knows why, but my grandmother would not go to Canada. If she had said 'yes', I would've been born in Canada.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
No, she was from the north-east which faces out onto the North Sea. Canada would have been fine in that respect.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
I saw Martin Short's one man (plus piano player) show in Vegas this weekend. This Canadian is a comic genius. Happy (belated) Canada Day, one and all.

Attachments

• MartinShort_300x225.jpg
    MartinShort_300x225.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 20

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
My grandfather was a prisoner of the Japanese after being captured at the fall of Singapore. When he was eventually released, following the defeat of the Japanese, along with the other British PoWs, he was brought back across Canada to be washed and fed. He loved Canada and wanted to return with my grandmother and my mother (who was still a child). No-one knows why, but my grandmother would not go to Canada. If she had said 'yes', I would've been born in Canada.

I have nothing but profound respect for anyone who survived the treatment being a POW in Japan entailed.

I think your Grandmother just didn't want to start over, sometimes roots run very deep. I will say this though, anyone who did emigrate here during the last 50 years has a better chance to start a business and buy a house than just about anywhere in Western Europe, the prices there for land/houses are beyond insane.

And thanks Cosmic, we are about to be overshadowed by the 4th tomorrow, one pet peeve I've always had is we should have moved our Day to either early June or August, but we have a bunch of mindless morons running things here.:sm:

:heheh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online