Bryan Ferry (Official Thread)

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
397px-BryanFerrySingFeb2011.jpg

Bryan Ferry Official Website

Dubbed "The Electric Lounge Lizard" for the seductive tenderness of his vocal style and suave appearance, Bryan Ferry, best known as the leader of 70s art rock group Roxy Music, was born on September 26th, 1945.

Bryan hails from Washington, Tyne and Wear, England. Bryan wasn't born into opulence, so to say. He was a farm boy, though attended Washington Grammar-Technical School, going on to study fine art at the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne. After a brief stint as a pottery teacher, Bryan founded a band called The Gas Board, alongside Graham Simpson (the first bassist of Roxy Music).

Roxy Music began to form in 1970, with Bryan and Graham recruiting Andy MacKay (saxophone/oboe), Brian Eno (synthesizer), Dexter Lloyd (percussion), and David O'List (guitar). Dexter and David were replaced by Paul Thompson and Phil Manzanera before the first Roxy record was to be recorded. Bryan Ferry was their lead vocalist, who also occasionally played the piano, an instrument he taught himself in his 20s.

Their first hit, "Virginia Plain" was featured on Top of the Pops in 1972.

An icon of style, Bryan fancied the clothing, consultations and designs of Antony Price (who also worked with the likes of Lou Reed, David Bowie, and Amanda Lear, the woman who posed on Roxy Music's 2nd album, "For Your Pleasure"). Nicky Haslam (a British interior decorator) once said, of Bryan, that he was "more likely to redecorate a hotel room than to trash it". In fact, in 2006, Bryan modeled for British clothing retailer Marks and Spencer.

When Roxy Music temporarily broke up in 1976 after the release and tours for "Siren", Bryan was able to take his solo career into full swing. He'd already been working on a solo career since 1973. Roxy Music got back together in 1978 for their album "Manifesto", and parted again in 1980, shortly after "Avalon".

Bryan's solo material consists of the following albums: These Foolish Things (1973, #5 in the UK), Another Time, Another Place (1974, #4 in the UK) Let's Stick Together (1976, #19 in the UK), In Your Mind (1977, #5 in the UK; #1 in Australia), The Bride Stripped Bare (1978, #13 in the UK), Boys and Girls (1985, #1 in the UK), Bête Noire (1987, #9 in the UK), Taxi (1993, #3 in the UK), Mamouna (1994, #11 in the UK), As Time Goes By (1999, #16 in the UK), Frantic (2002, #6 in the UK), and Dylanesque (a collection of Bob Dylan covers, 2007, #5 in the UK).

In short that's 12 solo records; 9 records with Roxy Music.

Bryan has been known to sway the likes of beautiful ladies; he has dated a good number of fashion models (including Amanda Lear and Jerry Hall, who left him for Mick Jagger) and married Lucy Helmore in 1982, with whom he had four sons, Otis, Isaac, Tara, and Merlin. They were divorced in 2003 after Bryan started an affair with a woman 35 years younger than he was.

As far as politics go, Ferry takes a conservative stance, though tries to be mostly apolitical. In 2005 he appeared in a film called Breakfast on Pluto, playing the role of a man who picks up the protagonist, and attempts to strangle him in the vehicle. Bryan experienced a little controversy in 2007 after he made a positive comment (from an artistic perspective) toward Leni Reifenstahl (a ****-era filmmaker from Germany) who had a close friendship with Adolf Hitler. He apologized for his comments shortly thereafter.

Bryan was referenced once on British comedy The Mighty Boosh, in comparison to Terry Wogan.

His song, "Slave to Love" was featured in one of the notorious Roman Polanski films: Bitter Moon (1992).

According to Bryan's official website (Bryan Ferry - The Official Site) he'll be appearing at several festivals this summer with Roxy Music, from June to September.

Studio Albums

These Foolish Things (October 1973)
Another Time, Another Place (July 1974)
Let's Stick Together (September 1976)
In Your Mind (February 1977)
The Bride Stripped Bare (April 1978)
Boys and Girls (May 1985)
Bête Noire (October 1987)
Taxi (April 1993)
Mamouna (September 1994)
As Time Goes By (October 1999)
Frantic (May 2002)
Dylanesque (March 2007)
Olympia (October 2010)

My personal favourites by Bryan:

These Foolish Things
Nobody Loves Me
Sign of the Times
Don't Worry Baby

A few thoughts, just from me:

I love Bryan's music. His voice is positively hypnotic. He has a gentlemanly charm like none other. I love Roxy Music as well; it's just an entirely fabulous package.

Any photos/videos/other comments would be quite welcomed to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Bryan Ferry

Very nice OP Lady.:tw:

I am a moderate fan of Roxy Music, I have...two or three of their albums and of those Avalon is by far my favorite. Definitely a fashionable character and if I'm not mistaken the band used to dress in tuxedos at one time.:think: I could be mistaken but I remember reading something like that in Rolling Stone magazine in the late 70's.:D

snowblue

Reaction score

I liked the early Roxy Music stuff especially 'Virginia Plain'. Love Bryan's quirky voice.

I remember wearing this album out! :D

album-these-foolish-things.jpg

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

Thanks! I love them too. I'll make a thread for Roxy Music eventually, I'm sure. "Avalon" was a terrific album; it's one of those things you put on when you need to let the stress of the day just roll off your shoulders. I picked up my copy (on vinyl) in a secondhand shop, and ... it kind of smells like marijuana, so I'm suspecting that someone else certainly chilled out to that record as well. :heheh:

They were well-dressed blokes, yes! Whatever happened to stylish musicians?

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

I'm more of a fan of Roxy Music with Bryan Ferry than solo Bryan Ferry without Roxy Music, but he really knocked it out of the ballpark in '87 with Bete Noire.

His 1985 album Boys and Girls was ok thanks to three great tracks in "Sensation", "Slave To Love" and "Dance Away", but Bete Noire is just a fantastic album all the way through.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

Oh yes!

If I wasn't so tapped for cash right now I would have already fleshed out my Roxy Music vinyl collection a little bit more. Such incredible music. It almost makes me wonder how such brilliant songs are created and somehow ignored by such a huge chunk of the population.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

I'm a fan of Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music. Quality stuff. Don't have any studio albums yet (one of many sad music situations in my library that needs instant rectifying) but these are some of my favourites.

And these covers, which I enjoy listening to immensely :D

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

Once I get back into working again, I'll probably invest in a few more of his records (literally - that is, if I can find myself a decent system to play them on, rarrrrrwwrrr).

Bryan Ferry is a hypnotic type when he sings.

Remember that news-article from a while back, in which he allegedly stole his son's girl?

With charm like that, I'm sure it was easy. :bonk:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.