Blue Oyster Cult Reveal ‘The Symbol Remains’ Album Details

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Blue-Oyster-Cult-Featured.jpg

Blue Oyster Cult's new record, The Symbol Remains, will be released on Oct. 9. Their label, Frontiers Music, also revealed the cover artwork and the track listing.

Frontiers' post on Facebook that broke the news added that the next few weeks will see the "first taste of music" from it, as well as pre-order information. The Symbol Remains will be the first studio album from the stalwart hard rock band since 2001's Curse of the Hidden Mirror. Their current lineup, in which founding members Eric Bloom (vocals/keyboards) and Buck Dharma (guitar) are joined by Richie Castellano (keyboards/guitar), Danny Miranda (bass) and Jules Radino (drums), has been in place since 2004.

The group's two leaders first said the new work was on the way in July 2019 in announcing their deal with Frontiers. “The current band is great and has never been recorded other than the live concerts, so we feel now is the time for new songs to be written and recorded," Dharma said. "About half of the songs for the new record exist and the rest will be finished during the process.”

“It's been a long time since BOC's last studio album,” Bloom added. “Our biggest question from fans is, 'When are we going to do some new music?' So we are ready to take this journey again. Recording with Danny, Richie and Jules should be a great experience, as we've been touring together for years.”

This past October, Bloom gave an update on the process, saying, “The band is in the middle of creating new songs and recording them in between tour dates and, as they evolve in rehearsals and sound checks, we hope to be able to drop a song or two into our live shows soon. Everyone is involved in the writing and arrangement of the new material, and we’re all excited about the prospect of a new BOC album to be released in 2020.”

Blue-Oyster-Cult-Frontiers.jpg

Blue Oyster Cult, 'The Symbol Remains' Track Listing

1. "That Was Me"
2. "Box in My Head"
3. "Tainted Blood"
4. "Nightmare Epiphany"
5. "Edge of the World"
6. "The Machine"
7. "Train True (Lennie’s Song)"
8. "The Return of St. Cecilia"
9. "Stand and Fight"
10. "Florida Man"
11. "The Alchemist"
12. "Secret Road"
13. "There’s a Crime"
14. "Fight"

Read More: Blue Oyster Cult Reveal 'The Symbol Remains' Album Details | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/blu...tails/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

doswizard

"If you are going through hell, keep going"
Reaction score
Blue-Oyster-Cult-Featured.jpg

Blue Oyster Cult's new record, The Symbol Remains, will be released on Oct. 9. Their label, Frontiers Music, also revealed the cover artwork and the track listing.

Frontiers' post on Facebook that broke the news added that the next few weeks will see the "first taste of music" from it, as well as pre-order information. The Symbol Remains will be the first studio album from the stalwart hard rock band since 2001's Curse of the Hidden Mirror. Their current lineup, in which founding members Eric Bloom (vocals/keyboards) and Buck Dharma (guitar) are joined by Richie Castellano (keyboards/guitar), Danny Miranda (bass) and Jules Radino (drums), has been in place since 2004.

The group's two leaders first said the new work was on the way in July 2019 in announcing their deal with Frontiers. “The current band is great and has never been recorded other than the live concerts, so we feel now is the time for new songs to be written and recorded," Dharma said. "About half of the songs for the new record exist and the rest will be finished during the process.”

“It's been a long time since BOC's last studio album,” Bloom added. “Our biggest question from fans is, 'When are we going to do some new music?' So we are ready to take this journey again. Recording with Danny, Richie and Jules should be a great experience, as we've been touring together for years.”

This past October, Bloom gave an update on the process, saying, “The band is in the middle of creating new songs and recording them in between tour dates and, as they evolve in rehearsals and sound checks, we hope to be able to drop a song or two into our live shows soon. Everyone is involved in the writing and arrangement of the new material, and we’re all excited about the prospect of a new BOC album to be released in 2020.”

Blue-Oyster-Cult-Frontiers.jpg

Blue Oyster Cult, 'The Symbol Remains' Track Listing

1. "That Was Me"
2. "Box in My Head"
3. "Tainted Blood"
4. "Nightmare Epiphany"
5. "Edge of the World"
6. "The Machine"
7. "Train True (Lennie’s Song)"
8. "The Return of St. Cecilia"
9. "Stand and Fight"
10. "Florida Man"
11. "The Alchemist"
12. "Secret Road"
13. "There’s a Crime"
14. "Fight"

Read More: Blue Oyster Cult Reveal 'The Symbol Remains' Album Details | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/blu...tails/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

I Am a Huge Fan and I do understand about getting old, but let it Rip..........................

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
And yes, that's Albert Bouchard on cowbell. Quite a nice surprise since I thought those guys would never do anything together again.

This track really reminds me of the Revölution By Night-Club Ninja era.

Darth Pazuzu

Banned
Reaction score
I already pre-ordered my copy of The Symbol Remains on Amazon! And now, after hearing the first two tracks, I'm even more psyched to hear it than I already was! :D

For the longest time, I had resigned myself to the fact that 2001's The Curse Of The Hidden Mirror would be their last recorded statement of all-new material. I probably had no real grounds for that, but y'know, if you keep your expectations low, you're never really disappointed. And even if that was their last-ever album, The Curse Of The Hidden Mirror was still a great return to form and certainly wouldn't have been a bad note to go out on.

You know, I'm also a huge David Bowie fan. Can you imagine how completely stoked the fanbase was in early 2013, when the video for Where Are We Now? was first released? I think up until that point, most people had pretty much resigned themselves to the fact that David Bowie had probably retired, and that 2003's Reality would probably be the final chapter. And as with BÖC, that would have been cool with me because Reality still probably ranks in my personal Bowie Top 10. (Not to mention that Bring Me The Disco King made for one hell of an epic closer.) But then, lo and behold, out of nowhere, we get The Next Day! I experienced a much similar sense of elation when I heard about Soundgarden's reunion in 2010, and was very much blown away by 2012's King Animal. (I actually liked that one better than Down On The Upside, their last one before their 1997 split.)

Man oh man, it felt sooooo good to be alive in 2013, because two of my all-time favorite musical artists had made smashing comeback records, and I was psyched that they were active in the present tense, once more becoming contemporary players as opposed to being part of my "golden oldies" or mere figures of nostalgia.

Cut to four years later...

:( :(

David Bowie is no longer with us.

And, shockingly, neither is Chris Cornell.

You see where I'm going with this, right? Note to Eric and Donald: Take care of yourselves out there, guys! You're among the last of a dying breed! Your contemporaries are dropping like flies, and their ranks grow thinner with every passing year. And, again on a personal note, I could use a shot of BÖC in what has been a supremely shitty Year Of Our Lord 2020 A.D.! (As I think we all could.) Granted, it isn't exactly fair to put the burden of redeeming what's left of 2020 on anyone's shoulders - never mind an aging band of mere mortals - and in all honesty nobody could. So perhaps that's an unfair amount of pressure! ;) But hey, we already lost Allen Lanier in 2013, and I'm really not in the mood for anybody else dying on me. So I'm hoping that BÖC is going to be alive and kicking for quite some time, and that the remaining survivors of rock and roll Camelot hang in there until some new blood extracts Excalibur from the stone and our favorite music reclaims some of its former glory.

"It is a dream I have..."

Well, that got awfully serious there, didn't it? :p

Last edited:

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I ordered the album the moment the pre-orders went up. Only about a month until the album drops. October feels like the perfect month for a new BÖC record. The two preview tracks sound great and I think the album artwork is pretty damn cool as well - I'm excited!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online