Blue Oyster Cult (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Blue Oyster Cult

I'm probably older than your Dad RS...:D

Okay seeing S&L added "Some Enchanted Evening" a page or two back I'll do what many consider the "Best" live album BOC recorded,,,"Extra Terrestrial Live!" released in 1982. Of the three official live recordings of their early years I would recommend this one as the best, first it was a double vinyl release when it came out, second it was recorded when BOC was surging off the success of "Fire of Unknown Origin", and third they played a lot of gigs in their home turf of Long Island and the ambiance is perfect.

ETI...

Rocker440

Reaction score

Also released in 1982 was the Buck Dharma solo album Flat Out.

3853b2c008a0d490b9d92010.L.jpg

It featured a hit video single that did receive quite a lot of airplay on the old MTV. The name of the song was "Born To Rock" and was also played at their (BOC) live shows. Although I've searched on Youtube I haven't found the original BtR video, but there is another.

MP edit: Video removed from youtube
Born to Rock

There were many excellent, respected and known guest musicians on this album. Including Rick Downey who did become the drummer for BOC, Dennis Dunaway and Neal Smith (of Alice Cooper fame), Will Lee (from David Letterman's band) and also Craig MacGregor (of Foghat fame) were some of the talented musicians that both contributed to as well as make this Buck Dharma solo album terrific! :tup:

Another song from Flat Out

That Summer Night

:tl:
1. "Born To Rock" (Neal Smith, Roeser) - 3:24
2. "That Summer Night" - 3:44
3. "Cold Wind" - 4:38
4. "Your Loving Heart" (Roeser, Sandy Roeser) - 7:12
5. "Five Thirty-Five" - 5:09
6. "Wind Weather and Storm" (Richard Meltzer, Roeser) - 2:35
7. "All Tied Up" - 4:16
8. "Anwar's Theme / Gnop Gnip" - 4:11
9. "Come Softly To Me" (G. Christopher, B. Ellis, G. Troxel) - 3:32

This album was reissued I believe on the Wounded Bird label and included the additional song:

"Gamera is Missing"

I thoroughly enjoy this album! :rock:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Great to see you dusting this one off Rocker440.:tup:

I didn't realize Buck had released a solo album...thanks for posting that for us.:cheers:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

Excellent thread LG!:grinthumb

I had never really listened to BOC until I was in the Army. Ft. Polk, La, 1981 I bought Fire Of Unknown Origin. Liked it. Then I buy Spectres. Then I buy Cultosaurus Erectus. Then I buy everything I can get my hands on from BOC. I was seriously hooked. Great memories! Thanks for bringing them back.

A few songs that I don't think have been posted, but need to be.

Rocker440

Reaction score

Great to see you dusting this one off Rocker440.:tup:

I didn't realize Buck had released a solo album...thanks for posting that for us.:cheers:

:tup: LG! Glad to help out. The 1st release of Flat Out was more difficult to find, and also tended to be more on the costly side as opposed to the Wounded Bird edition, which also has the 'bonus' track. I do remember seeing the Born to Rock video on both MTV and VH1 many years ago, so hopefully it will find its way onto youtube, eventually. :tongue:

There some fantastic songs on Flat Out, with a nice mix of slower ballads as well as rockers, too! :cheers:

R. Evans Re: Blue Oyster Cult

Excellent thread LG!

I had never really listened to BOC until I was in the Army. Ft. Polk, La, 1981 I bought Fire Of Unknown Origin. Liked it. Then I buy Spectres. Then I buy Cultosaurus Erectus. Then I buy everything I can get my hands on from BOC. I was seriously hooked. Great memories! Thanks for bringing them back.

A few songs that I don't think have been posted, but need to be.

Yes, indeed!

I know it didn't take very long for me to get hooked, as well. Of both their earlier albums and also the videos that you posted, "Then Came The Last Days of May" is one of my very favorite BOC songs!

I don't think anyone will mind hearing these great songs, even if some or all of those have been posted before, R. Evans! :tup: :cheers:

Last edited:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

Lord Grendel, are you going to write up and post songs from The Revolution By Night, Club Ninja and Imaginos? These are their 3 weakest albums in my opinion but even they have their moments.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I was planning on getting to them RE, I just haven't had time.

I'll do Revolution...later today.:cheers:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

No problem, LG. This thread really rekindled my interest in them. So much so that I recently bought the 1st album, Tyranny And Mutation, Spectres, Mirrors, and Cultosaurus Erectus. That completes by BOC up to and including The Revolution By Night excepting live albums. 9 CDs in all plus a cheapo Wal-Mart Super Hits. I can rest easy now. The live albums will follow later on.:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^ Great to see you catching up on your BOC collection RE.:cheers:

Okay picking up the trail, after their excellent live album Extra Terrestrial Live, came 1983's "The Revolution by Night". There was a big change in the band when this album was made, Albert Bouchard one of the best songwriters in the band decided to leave and his absence is definitely noticeable. It is too bad because Fire of Unknown Origin was such a killer record and brought the band back to their fans, and this album was a patchwork of lesser material by comparison. Aldo Nova whom I do like as a solo artist is on this album, so is ex Alice Cooper guitarist Neal Smith, both are talented individuals but something was just not right. Add to this the producer, Bruce Fairbairn who while good for bands like Loverboy, just wasn't the right man for a BOC project. As a result this album never caught the attention of their fans and was a disappointment on every level. Still even a mediocre BOC album is not all bad, there are a couple of good songs on this one.

Here's "Take Me Away".

I hate to say it, but many of BOC's covers are kind of generic, this is definitely not one of their best.

Blue_Oyster_Cult_-_The_Revolution_B.jpg

Blue_Oyster_Cult_-_The_Revolutio-1.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online