Blue Oyster Cult (Official Thread)

Rocker440

Reaction score
Re: Blue Oyster Cult

Excellent stuff, BOCFan.:grinthumb

Got a question for all BOC fans:

I think we can all agree that BOC should've been bigger than what they were. Correct? Outside of Agents Of Fortune and Fire Of Unknown Origin, they didn't sell alot of albums when you compare them to other groups. (Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, etc...) I'm wondering whether or not their lack of a true "frontman" brought them down somewhat. Eric Bloom, while being the main singer, was in no way a frontman along the lines of Steven Tyler or David Lee Roth. No one really front and center to lead the band. I saw them in concert twice in the 80s when it was still the original line-up, and while I love the shows (2 of my top 10 concerts), thinking back on it, there was no one to really focus on. No compelling stage presence that was flashy or showy.

So what do you guys think? Any validity to my theory?

I think there is some validity with what you're saying, R E. Although Eric Bloom did sing many of the songs, and also play rhythm guitar, too. I believe that all of the original band members did sing either lead vocals, as well as back up vocals, with the exception of Allen Lanier. Allen Lanier is a very versatile dual instrument performer, imo. He played both guitar and keyboards, but is probably better known with his keyboard playing.

One of the cool aspects of BOC for me was with the fact that the original band was more of a collective effort and in various, equal contributions! With the songwriting, the singing of different songs and more so with their live performance, imo! There may be some bands that do have a very noticeable frontman as you've mentioned, but some of those frontmen also want a good majority of the attention, too, imo. Whether they may mostly sing, or perhaps jump all over the stage, which some people may or may not enjoy more within the frameworks of any particular bands live performance. Some lead singers both do command the stage and their presence all over the stage with moving around a lot. Some fans may enjoy this, while others may find it somewhat distracting. I remember Eric Bloom moving around well on stage while playing guitar, interacting with other members and also riding the harley cycle on at the beginning of Born to be Wild! :grinthumb

BOC was one of the best bands that I've seen in concert! :cheers2

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

If BOC needed a flashier ,showier , front man, and a different more eye catching style to become more succusful, then I for one am very happy that they were not bigger then they became. BOC are great because of what and who they were and are .

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I agree with DKW, and Rocker's point about them being a collective effort when they played live shows, everyone had their time to step up and be the focal point for a while.

I'll post the Next album tomorrow, we are getting close to the finish line now.:cheers:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Okay I am going to have to reserve final judgment on Imaginos for now, I have played it twice but still don't really have very much to say about it yet. So next up is a CD I have enjoyed for the last few weeks, "Heaven Forbid". This is definitely a comeback album of sorts, after 10 years of not releasing any new material 1998's Heaven Forbid is a return to their roots. The songs might not be as strong as some of their earlier works, but I like this CD.

Here's Harvest Moon.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

We are now at the end of the trail as far as my BOC studio album collection goes. Curse of the Forbidden Mirror, released in 2001 and is a very good album. Reminiscent of the band when they were putting out nothing but good quality songs from their glory days in the 70's and 80's.(Helped no doubt by the fact that Buck Dharma, Eric Bloom and Allen Lanier were all involved with this record.) I haven't played this one enough to rate it on my all time list yet, sigh there is Never enough time in a day to get to everything anymore but it is definitely better than the previous three albums, especially Club Ninja and Imaginos.(I still don't know what to say about Imaginos, I will have to play it everyday for a week before I can say anything about it.)

Pocket.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

^^

It's okay to trash Imaginos LG, I have!:D There's just not really anything worth listening to on that album except for the updated version of Astronomy. A misfire of an album from start to finish. And that's being kind.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I do remember you were not impressed by that one RE.:D

Nice to see you again too.:cheers:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

^^

It's okay to trash Imaginos LG, I have!:D There's just not really anything worth listening to on that album except for the updated version of Astronomy. A misfire of an album from start to finish. And that's being kind.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Imaginos, Evans .
Very poor album and one that is far less worthy then Club Ninja IMO.

I had originally found CN a bit lacking
until hearing Perfect Water and a couple others live made me realize what great songs that they actually are. After giving Club Ninja another chance, it has become an album I thoroughly enjoy .

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I feel the same way about Heaven Forbid, took a few listens but I have grown to like it a lot more than the first time I played it.

I picked up the Illuminations album by Leggat last week, the one that has the song "White Flags" that BOC covers on CN, in fact it's because of playing CN that I ordered a copy.:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online

No members online now.