Blue Oyster Cult (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Blue Oyster Cult

Here's "Imaginos", the last album BOC recorded for CBS records, released in 1988. An ambitious "Concept" album this one was a big improvement over it's two predecessors, and some of the material included on this album dates back to the "Secret Treaties" era. Timing as they say is everything and when this album came out, BOC was dropping out of the relevant mainstream rock music scene, and there was some confusion among fans thinking this record marked a reunion of the old band because of some of the credits to founding members no longer in the group were listed in the liner notes. All in all a confusing time for a once Mighty band. I'm going to play this one a couple more times, it's been so long since I listened to it I really can't say too much about it.

I Am The One You Warned Me Of.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

Please let us know what you think after revisiting Imaginos, LG. I don't think I could. I just remember it being wretched. Maybe I will someday but that's far in the future.:D

Canadian Air Force

Reaction score

I'm a big fan of Secret Treaties.

Their string of 70's albums were solid too.

Rocker440

Reaction score

I have Imaginos as well and I'll give it another spin, too.

Lord Grendel

^^Nice picture Rocker. And just another reason to respect BOC, giving the fans a show even if BS didn't play.

I've been warming up to Heaven Forbid the last few days, but I have to post Imaginos next to keep some semblance of order in here.

:cheers2 LG! I surely do and they did! For various reasons both BOC and that show stands out with me and with it being close to 30 years ago, man, I feel older! Maybe I forgot to include that within my user name! :wtf: :oyea:

Terrific album LG, imo! Nice blend of different tempos and styles of music! I've been enjoying Heaven Forbid with every listen! :rock: :tup:

Rocker440

Reaction score

Some additional info for Imaginos

From the liner notes:
Eric Bloom: Vocals.
Albert Bouchard (the drummer for many of BOC's earlier albums): Guitar, Percussion, Vocals.
Joe Bouchard (bass player for many of the many of the earlier albums): Keyboard, Vocals.
Allen Lanier: Keyboards.
Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser: Guitars, Vocals.

There are also other, notable guest musicians as well. Kenny Aaronson: Bass. Thommy Price: Drums. Jack Secret: Additional Vocals. Tommy Moringiello: Guitars. Jack Rigg: Guitars. Tommy Zvoncheck: Keyboards. Shocking U: Background Vocals. Joey Cerisano: Additional Lead Vocal. Jon Rogers: Additional Lead Vocal.
Guitar Orchestra Of The State Of Imaginos:
Marc Biedermann
Kevin Carlson
Robbie Kreiger
Tommy Moringiello
Aldo Nova
Jack Rigg
Joe Satriani

Other than basic album info I didn't find much more for Imaginos on the BOC website, with this exception.

Albert Bouchard

In 1981 Albert left Blue Öyster Cult and began work on the music that would become the Imaginos record.

A couple of my opinions on Imaginos.

With some of the original band members having departed, or perhaps were departing, many of the songs on Imaginos, imo, have a "demo" feel with them. Perhaps the songs were started many years ago, then finished with other musicians to be included on this album? There are several guest and possibly session musicians in addition to the original band members.

I will say, imo, that Imaginos is one of the more inconsistent, uneven BOC releases. Many of the songs are lengthy, perhaps too lengthy at times. Also, imo, possibly some of the ideas for the song that comprise Imaginos may well have been began some years prior to it's release in 1988. The band may well have been going through a transitional stage at this point, with both the Bouchard brothers either leaving or already have departed the band. I don't know if the songs were put together too quickly, or perhaps from "demo's" or possibly were finished at later dates and also with guest session musicians? Maybe it was a combination of one or more of these? :dunno:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^ Great post Rocker, and you have it exactly right, the songs were bit's and pieces from all over the place, and they did use session musicians to record the album, because of the tumult within the group. Uneven is a good way to describe this record, but there are still some good songs on it. I can always find at least a couple of tunes to enjoy off all of their albums.

Rocker440

Reaction score

^^^I certainly agree, LG! :) I do feel that with some bands not every album is going to be great from the first track to the last, however, there may well be songs that stand out on particular releases that are quite good, exceptional and attention grabbers, perhaps not with everyone! :grinthumb I've enjoyed some songs of both BOC, and other bands as well, that may not have either gotten much attention, nor airplay on radio when some of the albums were first released. But I find that very cool and appealing! Imo, BOC has always had an excellent combination of songwriting, extremely skilled and talented musicians and outstanding performances both on their albums as well as their concerts, too! :oy:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Very funny EZ, I noticed you Left out the rest of the sentence in your quotes...:nw:

I would prefer tickets to a BOC reunion concert with the whole band intact, and if Rocker was there too, that would be blast.:grinthumb

Rocker440

Reaction score

^^^:grinthumb

How about a couple of passes for LG and a guest of his choosing?! ;)

pass_BOCred.jpg

lp_boc_revolution.jpg

Yes indeed! That certainly would be a blast, LG!

music_feature-37941.jpg

It looks like all of them are waiting! :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online