Black Sabbath (Official Thread)

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Never Say Die album?
Side 1 of the album has some great songs and are still Black Sabbath enough to listen to. Side 2 is weird for a BS album and I usually give it a miss. There are flashes of greatness, but overall the the album is disjointed. Overall, it sounds like a band in turmoil.

E-Z

Reaction score
Side 1 of the album has some great songs and are still Black Sabbath enough to listen to. Side 2 is weird for a BS album and I usually give it a miss. There are flashes of greatness, but overall the the album is disjointed. Overall, it sounds like a band in turmoil.
Yeah that is my take on it as well record27 I posted the same as you have written here on the previous page. Yeah as previously posted after listening to the A side of the vinyl record the B side was when I lost interest and pretty much 'switched off' in my mind. I suppose with the vinyl record people may have just left the A side on the turntable and didn't bother flipping the record over to the B side??. One track on the B side has a 'jazz' sequence in it??. :eek:

E-Z

Reaction score
I have the two Black Sabbath dvds Vol.1 & vol.2 which are both a pretty good watch especially on Vol.1 the Tony & Geezer interviews which I assume were filmed around 1990-91?. Both Never Say Die and Hard Road were filmed on the BBC TOTP which possibly has Ozzy miming the song lyrics to both songs and I also presume Tony, Geezer & Bill are also 'faking it' as well?.

E-Z

Reaction score
Ok music lovers just currently listening to Never Say Die again the cd

Vinyl side one
1.Never Say Die (good track)
2.Johnny Blade (good track)
3.Juniors Eyes (good track)
4.Hard Road (good track)

Vinyl side two
5.Shock Wave (good track)
6.Air Dance (better than I remembered it but a slight dip compared to what preceded it)
7.Over To You (It's ok and again better than I remembered it with Ozzy still sounding good)
8.Breakout (Starts off with a slow drum beat then some heavy brass comes in followed by a brass heavy 'jazz' sequence and then straight into track 9)
9.Swinging The Chain Tony comes straight in with a heavy guitar riff on the fade of Breakout and Ozzy starts singing as well with the song sounding 'heavy' all the way to the songs finish)

An overall personal impression is that it's a fairly good listen all the way through. The vinyl side 2 from Shock Wave through to Swinging the Chain sounds better now than I remember hearing it many years ago. This album doesn't have any Black Sabbath 'signature 'doom' or 'downer' songs as such on it and is pretty much a straight ahead late 1970s heavy rock album.

Last edited:

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
Ok music lovers just currently listening to Never Say Die again the cd

Vinyl side one
1.Never Say Die (good track)
2.Johnny Blade (good track)
3.Juniors Eyes (good track)
4.Hard Road (good track)

Vinyl side two
5.Shock Wave (good track)
6.Air Dance (better than I remembered it but a slight dip compared to what preceded it)
7.Over To You (It's ok and again better than I remembered it with Ozzy still sounding good)
8.Breakout (Starts off with a slow drum beat then some heavy brass comes in followed by a brass heavy 'jazz' sequence and then straight into track 9)
9.Swinging The Chain Tony comes straight in with a heavy guitar riff on the fade of Breakout and Ozzy starts singing as well with the song sounding 'heavy' all the way to the songs finish)

An overall personal impression is that it's a fairly good listen all the way through. The vinyl side 2 from Shock Wave through to Swinging the Chain sounds better now than I remember hearing it many years ago. This album doesn't have any Black Sabbath 'signature 'doom' or 'downer' songs as such on it and is pretty much a straight ahead late 1970s heavy rock album.
Thanks for the run down on your thoughts.

Just been reading this: https://loudwire.com/black-sabbath-never-say-die-album-anniversary/

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
I think they were. From wiki:
"We'd go down to the sessions and have to pack up because we were too stoned. Nobody could get anything right. We were all over the place. Everybody was playing a different thing." "With Never Say Die!, we were down on our luck", Osbourne reflected to Spin magazine's Kory Grow. "We were just a ******* bunch of guys drowning in the ******* ocean. We weren't getting along with each other and we were all ******-up with drugs and alcohol. And I got fired. It was just a bad thing. You try to lift your head up above water, but eventually the tide sucks you under."

E-Z

Reaction score
Happened to notice Geezer Butler has a new cd/album release it was seen in the new releases section in Fopp records in central London today (05/08/21)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.