BILL WARD Removed From Photos On BLACK SABBATH's Official Web Site

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Led Zeppelin is another example of a band that stopped while they were ahead, albeit in unfortunate circumstances. Deep Purple and Judus Priest went on too long. Purple need Blackmore and Priest could've split before they fell out with K.K. Downing.

I've read that Bill Ward was offered 10 percent, but because of legal shenanigans it is conjecture until the full truth emerges. These days, I would say Bill Ward is more important to Black Sabbath than Ozzy Osbourne.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Geezer posted an update.

I feel sad to see the Sabbath reunion becoming a bit of a soap opera on the internet. It has been a very tough year for us as a band, having announced our reunion plans, only for Tony to be diagnosed with lymphoma, leaving us no choice but to postpone the proposed Sabbath tour, and then for Bill to go public on his site about an un-signable contract. None of us knew how Tony was going to respond to his intensive chemo therapy, and radiotherapy. Ozzy and myself flew to England to be with Tony, and on his “good” days, we’d meet at his home studio and put ideas together for the upcoming album, all sitting down together, no drummer involved, just 3 of us quietly putting together ideas. We thought that when we had enough songs together for a full band rehearsal, we’d move back to L.A and put the whole thing together with Bill. Unfortunately, to our surprise, Bill issued a statement on his site saying he’d been offered an un-signable contract. He hadn’t told any one of us he was having contractual problems, and frankly those things are worked out between our representatives, and never between the four of us let alone in public. We had the idea of keeping just one show in this year, hoping that Tony would be well enough for that show, and that things with Bill would be sorted. As you may expect, a one off show at Donnington Festival (Download) costs an absolute fortune to stage, involving over 50 people, transport, air fares, hotels, meals, agents, promotors, accountants, lawyers etc, so none of us, expected to make much money from it- it was a one off Sabbath show for the fans, before we go into recording the new album. Apparently, this wasn’t acceptable to Bill’s representatives, they wanted an amount that was so unrealistic that it seemed to have been a joke. So we resigned ourselves to doing Download without Bill, hoping he’d change his mind and at least make a guest appearance. We started rehearsals a few weeks ago with Tommy Cluefetos, the drummer who will be on the Ozzy and Friends Tour. Brilliant drummer and good bloke. It was decided we’d better do a warm up show, to break the ice since we haven’t played together live. The O2 Academy was available in Birmingham, where we were rehearsing, so we decided on that, and to make a donation to Help For Heroes Charity, since we’d be ironing out any glitches we may have. Then Bill put out a further statement saying he’d been ready to play the Birmingham show , but he was expected to have to do it “for free”- well, I think that’s basically how you raise money from gigs for charity – you play them “for free”.

All I am saying is that there are two sides to everything. I do hope to play with Bill again some day. For whatever reason; it wasn’t meant to be this time. Bill’s made his decision, and I have to respect that. Hopefully this painful year will be worth the wait for the new Sabbath album and end in joy and happiness for all.

Stay frosty,
Geezer

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is indeed the other shoe dropping...:think:

However, I am of the opinion that when something this massive comes along, you Dictate to your Agents what arrangements are satisfactory, not the other way round.

If Bill's people are the reason for the shambles, then it's his fault in the end for Not taking charge of affairs himself.

Geezer seems to be level headed and echoes my sentiments this was for the Fans more than anything else...that is the tragedy.

I am not a Bill Ward expert, but others have mentioned before he can be erratic/moody as hell for obscure reasons.

I imagine the others feel a lot of the luster of getting together is being lost over all this crap.

And last but not least, no matter what schism has developed over the reunion, they should never have taken Ward's picture off Sabbath's homepage, we all Know he is part of what made them a legendary band.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
You can't help feeling that bands like The Beatles and Cream did the right thing by quitting while they were ahead. Bands that have tarnished their name by continuing are VH, Sabbath, Yes and Boston, while Viv Campbell wants to resurrect the Dio lineup. Sadly, I can't think of many bands from the late sixties/ early seventies that have continued to make music befitting their early reputation.

:grinthumb
yes, I've saying this for years.. The Beatles broke up ..I'm GLAD they did..if they didn't all want it..thats the right move...grow up move on

ps ;

Brian May, I love you more than anything *not my bf and kid ...but* Whatever you want do is fine..but don't call this lineup QUEEN ..Queen died with Freddie..lets us remember him and you with the dignity you all deserve..

keep playing enjoy your past ..but move on..know when to quit..

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Paul Rodgers with Queen was a strange project. They weren't terrible, but I don't understand Brian May saying they wanted a singer with a different style to Freddie Mercury, so as to avoid comparison, but kept the name and performed Bohemian Rhapsody live. It's just occurred to me that the Bad Co reunion, despite no Boz and with Howard Leese, was really good.

OzzyVanHalen

Reaction score
Black Sabbath have just recently updated their Facebook page with the following statement.

Black Sabbath/Bill Ward Photo Statement

"At the request of Bill Ward, through his attorney, so as to not give the public the wrong impression about his involvement in the current Black Sabbath lineup, we have temporarily removed Bill Ward's images from the main pages of the blacksabbath.com official website. In accordance with Bill Ward's attorney's request, we are doing so for the duration of the forthcoming shows." - BLACK SABBATH

Last edited:

Khor1255

Reaction score
Well, it seems I was entirely wrong about this. I think I'll go back to my old system of ignoring ANY drama whatsoever and just focusing on whether I think a project might have musical merit.

In this case, judging from what I have heard both from Ozzy's newest stuff and many years of Sabbath albums I haven't at all liked I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy anything anyway.

But then again, I could be wrong about this too. I am of the mind that any band that hit the heights of songcraft Sabbath once did must somewhere still have some trace of that left and it could arise at any time. I have always been disapointed by the practical results of this theory but who knows?

Bring it on. They might have at least one cool song to make it all worth while or even bang out a decent show. I'm not holding my breath, but it is possible.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I will go back to waiting on the new Sabbath album just as I had been before, after and during this lame internet drama....

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think I'll retire from commenting about this mess any further...:gnite:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online