Best place for a concert

billtjr51

Reaction score
I used to go to a large club in Austin Tx in the 70's called The Armadillo World Headquarters. Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart recorded the Bongo Fury album there. It was set up like a colosseum, except much smaller. It had an open floor in the middle, with bleachers on the side, and tables on a raised platform in the back. And a killer beer garden outside. I saw Savoy Brown, Kansas, Elvin Bishop, Ted Nugent, and others, including some great local bands. It was torn down after about 10 years because they made so little profit. The most they ever charged for a band I went to see was $5. Most local bands were free to see. It was a great place!!!

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
I love Austin. I used to go there every year and hang out. A buddy of mine lives on Lake Travis and his brother is a local blues man. Great town.

As far as venues I'm kind of fond of House of Blues. The one here in Myrtle Beach is the largest in the country with a capacity of 2,600. Not too big or small, great acoustics with a high ceiling and the floor is open so you can get right up front if you want. A bit pricey for drinks and such though.

APageMark

Reaction score
Outdoor: Jones Beach Amphitheater in Wantaugh, NY. Easy to get to/depart. Cool bay breeze keeps it cozy. Superior sound. Fantastic summer lineups. I miss this place intensely. In fact, I'll be travelling back up to catch the Masters of Metal tour in Aug.

Attachments

• jb.jpg
    jb.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 15

APageMark

Reaction score
Indoor: Probably Carnegie Hall. They don't book many rock acts, but I saw Jethro Tull there in 2005. Perhaps the best sounding show I've ever heard. You could literally pick any instrument or voice out of the mix at will. Very little margin for error as a musician. :D

Attachments

• Carnegie Hall.jpg
    Carnegie Hall.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 15

billtjr51

Reaction score
Outdoor: Jones Beach Amphitheater in Wantaugh, NY. Easy to get to/depart. Cool bay breeze keeps it cozy. Superior sound. Fantastic summer lineups. I miss this place intensely. In fact, I'll be travelling back up to catch the Masters of Metal tour in Aug.

That is a wild looking place! I haven't ever seen an amphitheater like that. The water around it really gives it a cool effect. I like that.

APageMark

Reaction score
That is a wild looking place! I haven't ever seen an amphitheater like that. The water around it really gives it a cool effect. I like that.

Yeah, it's a neat place. They're running a deal now on a lot of the concerts were you can buy a four-pack of tickets in that top section for $20.00 a piece. The sightlines are excellent and it's really not as far from the stage as you may think. I've seen a ton of acts there over the years:

The Kinks, Jethro Tull, Yes, Deep Purple, Jimmy Buffett, Peter Gabriel, Judas Priest, ELP, and a ton that I can't recall right now.

billtjr51

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a neat place. They're running a deal now on a lot of the concerts were you can buy a four-pack of tickets in that top section for $20.00 a piece. The sightlines are excellent and it's really not as far from the stage as you may think. I've seen a ton of acts there over the years:

The Kinks, Jethro Tull, Yes, Deep Purple, Jimmy Buffett, Peter Gabriel, Judas Priest, ELP, and a ton that I can't recall right now.

From just looking at the picture, it looks like there wouldn't be a bad seat there.

billtjr51

Reaction score

And $20 a ticket is a great deal in this day and time.

Reaction score
And $20 a ticket is a great deal in this day and time.

20 bucks a piece would be insane for me lol, the only place around here is called star lake ampitheatre, its a pretty good place, it usually sounds good for an outdoor thing, but the tickets are super expensive for lawn, lawn tickets to steve miller show were 45 bucks a piece, and i just missed judas prieest cus i had my own gig to play, and those priest tickets were 50 a piece lol, jimmy buffet for lawn was 400 hahaha

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.