220px-Avenged_Sevenfold_-_Nightmare.png

Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls
220px-JudasPriestRedeemerSouls.png

T&N - Slave to the Empire
220px-Slave_To_The_Empire_front_album_cover%2C_31_October_2012.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
There's a few that spring to mind the new Priest album is up there, "Lights Out" Graveyard, Hell "Human Remains" and this cracker from Gentlemans Pistols.

2d7vwar.jpg

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Oooh, interesting question. We're getting pretty close to the half-way point for those of us who count '10, so while we have whole lot of time left, this isn't a bad time to start thinking about it!

A couple of my all-time favorites just miss the cut-off date. That would have made it easy. As is, I'm left torn between Neil Young -- Americana, Tom Petty -- Mojo, and Katy Perry -- Teenage Dream.

I should probably be giving it to Teenage Dream on the basis of it by far the most relevant and influential entry, one from an artist in her prime. It's about as flawless as any pop album I've ever heard and it really set the bar for dance pop. That being said, its modern immediacy is a double-edged sword. Katy helped pioneer the wave of EDM-based pop but Teenage Dream was just the start, and now I find myself more interested in newer albums that take that angle to a higher level. I think years from now I'll probably rate Teenage Dream where it deserves, but living in the moment it's hard for me to not prefer the newer works, kind of like comparing early Beatles to Sgt. Pepper.

Tom Petty's Mojo is the album I listen to most out of the three. It's got some truly spectacular tracks and really builds on what Mudcrutch began. But ultimately it just doesn't come off as a "best of the decade" album to me, because it's sandwiched in between two other records, one better (Mudcrutch), and one just as good (Hypnotic Eye). Mudcrutch was the real innovator where Petty started getting into this sound and that's the one that would deserve the highest accolades -- but it's not from the 10s.

So I'm left with Americana as my choice. No big surprise whenever a Neil Young album ends at the top for me. This record really hits on what makes Neil and Crazy Horse great, just raw power and no foolin'. Their first record in six years and boy is it good to have them back! The material on the album strikes a cosmic chord with me. It's one of those very rare entries where a legacy act can re-inhabit the sound of their youth.

Americana.jpg

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
After much deliberating and cogitating, I've settled on this:

413_WE38p_DRL.jpg

Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like clockwork

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going for a second pick which seriously gives my first pick (Tame Impala's Innerspeaker) a run for its money!

alice-in-chains-the-devil-put-dinosaurs-here-620x620.jpg

The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here. Absolutely killer album! Every song here is gold! I'm so glad I discovered this album even though I was a year late.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Since I can't decide between all the ones I love, these are the ones for me so far.

Golden Void - Golden Void (2012)
Earthless - From The Ages (2013)
Mastodon - The Hunter (2011)
Mastodon - Once More Round The Sune (2014)
Opeth - Heritage (2011)
Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion (2012)
Steven Wilson – The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) (2013)

CREAM'd

Reaction score
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues.jpg
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

Beautiful album.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone here.

I haven't been around much for a while, (fried my laptop), but my status as Shinedown fanboy hasn't diminished.

I haven't fallen this hard for a band since I was a teen.

8731253437_546e709426.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online