Reaction score
Re: Official Beach Boys Thread

The magic that is Cabinessence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Re: Mid-60s Beach Boys

I searched the forum and didn't find a thread on this. Are there any fans of SMiLE-era Beach Boys and afterwords? The band got a lot of flack at this time because they couldn't follow up Pet Sounds, but I think their creativity was at its peak around 67-69. Anyone agree?

I'm a huge fan of Surf's Up - the album and the song.

Syd

Reaction score

Musicians just don't make beatiful albums like The Beach Boys or The Beatles used to do. I mean, they cared so much about harmonies, about other instruments, about having nice lyrics and melodies. Everything is so well thought, everything is just heavenly. Now musicians leave music to a computer, or do some stuff with really distorted guitars or just sing songs that don't really stick to the social subconscious, but rather are only accepted in this niche in which the band usually revolves around. The only thing I've heard this beautiful lately are other Brian Wilson albums.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Ahhhh the Beach Boys. One of the bands I can listen to when I just need to calm down.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Always liked this as a live album

Little Old Lady From Pasadena

Beach%20Boys_Great%20Concert.jpg

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Re: Surf's up!

Here's my favorite Surf album of all time.

I LOVE THIS ALBUM !...:grinthumb

My dad was very into surfer guitar and The Beach Boys ,Dick Dale &DelTones, ..Jan&Dean, and the mighty Ventures
My mom loved them too..she went see them last year ..she crushes on Al Jardine lol ...
I love the harmonies..{psst one my fav things !!!}
The Wilson bros and kin just did it best

this was the album I grabbed after my dad passed away...it will always remind me of him..but it's THE BEST ..and in this crappy winter weather..
I love the theme...

Endless Summer INDEED :grinthumb

lLITTLE DEUCE COUPE

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score

Don't know their music that well, other than the hits. I enjoy the classics and also the later day studio albums (Still Cruisin' & Summer in Paradise).

As for deep album cuts and catalog stuff, I'll just have to dive head first into some of these videos :)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

"Wendy" was always one of my very favorites from their early catalog. Thanks for the live performance vid, Astrid. Pretty crummy direction from the Ed Sullivan show control booth though, cutting to a shot of Dennis on drums right when Carl starts his guitar solo. There aren't many videos out there that actually show him playing his signature Jazzmaster and Strat solos.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

Don't know their music that well, other than the hits. I enjoy the classics and also the later day studio albums (Still Cruisin' & Summer in Paradise).

As for deep album cuts and catalog stuff, I'll just have to dive head first into some of these videos :)

For mid-period stuff, I don't think you can do better than the three albums they boxed together many years ago and sold as The Beach Boys Deluxe Set. They were Pet Sounds, Summer Days (and Summer Nights!) and The Beach Boys Today!. Those three got you not only PS, but both album and single versions of "Help Me, Rhonda" (the single version being much the better of the two), "California Girls," "Let Him Run Wild," "When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)," "Dance, Dance, Dance" and a ton of other great album cuts like Brian's a-little-too-close-to-home "I'm Bugged at My Old Man."

PS is worth getting on its own - every cut on it is, like the oft-repeated quote, a pocket symphony in their harmonic structure and production. And to sweeten the deal, the other two albums are available in a two-for-one CD package, currently priced at Amazon for $12.02.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

"Wendy" was always one of my very favorites from their early catalog. Thanks for the live performance vid, Astrid. Pretty crummy direction from the Ed Sullivan show control booth though, cutting to a shot of Dennis on drums right when Carl starts his guitar solo. There aren't many videos out there that actually show him playing his signature Jazzmaster and Strat solos.

I guess judging ALL those screamie girls EVERYTIME they focus on Dennis ..thats what the crew were aiming for ..popularity not :rolleyes:musicianship

But your welcome ..I didn't know it was so hard to see Carl Wilson ..he was awesome !:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online