Beach Boys (Official Thread)

donniewn

Reaction score
the beach boys

seriously great music.i have many audiophile LP's and let me tell you they are amazing.although i can't stand mike love.he sues brian every time he turns around.mike love was integral part of the beach boys. watch this

donniewn

Reaction score
Re: Official Beach Boys Thread

player get "the beach boys today" maybe their best album or "holland" i love both of those albums although they are very different style.

whobeatle

classic rock fan
Reaction score

I am shocked no one here is talking about the immenent release of
the Beach Boys SMiLe

The most famous unreleased album in the history of rock SMiLe originally
recorded and nearly completed, before being abandoned in 1966, and early
1967, has been officially slated by Capitol records for a box set release
of great fanfare.

This is enormous musical news, and the biggest beach boy related story
in decades!

The album will be released in multiple formats including the deluxe version
which will have four cds, two vinyl records and a sixty page book by
Beach boy author, and expert Dominic Priore.

The unfinished album will appear in re-constructed finished form on one disc
while the additional discs will feature raw session takes,, alternate takes, unused songs, and alternate mixes.

Even some of the original artwork created by Frank Holmes in 1966 is expected to be used. All the surviving beach boys have signed off on this
and longtime Beach Boy archival engineer Mark Linnett is overseeing the
compilation of the SMILE release.

Such famous classics as GOOD VIBRATIONS, HEROS AND VILLIANS AND SURFS UP, were all part of the original SMILE album, and many of the actual
songs are known through inferior re-recordings released on several subsequent albums such as 20/20, Surfs Up, SMiley SMile and Wild honey

The original unreleased SMiLe is thought to be one of the great masterpieces in the history of rock thought by many to perhaps even blow away the likes
of The Beatles Sgt Pepper.

Wilsons drug problems, mental illness, resistance from the other beach boys,
record company deadline, and other factors all combined to cause the collapse of SMiLe. hence it has never been released to this very day..

Now for the first time , reconstructed with years of work, digital technology and many many hours of session tapes, remixes, flyins., lost acetates, painstaking study,

SMiLe by the Beach Boys is set for release later this year.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

^^ I have to wonder what was left that still needed saying after Wilson's solo Smile release in, what was it, 2004?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I doubt that it will "Blow Away" Sgt. Peppers.

And Craig you are right, I thought the same thing that when Brian released Smile a few years ago that was the end of the saga.

whobeatle

classic rock fan
Reaction score

I doubt that it will "Blow Away" Sgt. Peppers.

And Craig you are right, I thought the same thing that when Brian released Smile a few years ago that was the end of the saga.

Well I guess it's sort of like the difference between hearing the Sgt pepper album, or hearing his crack top notch back up band perform it live with McCartney.. No matter how great McCartneys back up band is, when they do a rendition of Sgt pepper or penny Lane. it aint the Beatles.

The forthcoming SMiLe is the genuine article as recorded by the Beach Boys, and thats a big difference IMO.

Second Brian Wilson presents SMiLe was largely a reconstruction and interpretation put together by Wilsons great back up band, for a sixty something Brian Wilson.

The Original Beach Boys SMiLe has Brian Wilson in his twenties at the peak of his creative powers, just as he is beginning to succumb to his mental illness.

All the original recordings were done with real instruments and echo chambers and reel to reel tape machines instead of being recorded on digital equipment which tries to mimic those sounds.

and the original Beach Boy vocal blend (including a young Brian) is vastly superior. And SMiLe is the most famous unreleased album of all time.

Also the forthcoming version will be quite different from the 2004 version, at least in certain respects, probably featuring some different songs, melodies, lyrics and arrangements. and certainly running order.. it will also be full of alternate takes, session tapes , unknown songs and so forth.

To a non Beach Boy fan, perhaps the Wilson solo version is all she wrote. but this is a Beach Boy thread, so most Beach Boy fans presumably, are quite excited about the authentic version, which many expect to surpass the 2004 Wilson interpretation.

I think the solo version is a great piece. but I don't think they can duplicate Brians creative power circa 1966 or the beautiful tenor voice of Carl Wilson, the Beach Boy version should be very interesting

whobeatle

classic rock fan
Reaction score

Something else of interest.

It's not being called the beach boys,.... but a new song, features vocals by
Al Jardine, Brian Wilson. Mike Love, Bruce Johnston (4 surviving Beach Boys) and
also Carl Wilson from archive tapes..

Its off of Al Jardines new solo album, and theres five beach boys singing on it yippee!

The song is called "DONT FIGHT THE SEA" and was on sale today as part of whats called record store day, and is being offered to help a charity, I forget what the charitable cause was...

I've heard it and its ok, I dont like the song that much, but there you have it, for the first time in many years... the four surviving Beach boys all singing together, and Carl!

The song is available for purchase now, with a special Vinyl edition, an accapella version of the BEach Boys Friends from 68 on the flip side

ANF

Reaction score

This is some news of interest via Billboard
========================================================
The Beach Boys are planning to commemorate the group's 50th anniversary with a new album involving all of the remaining members, although frontman Mike Love says it's more in the planning stages at this juncture and probably won't surface until 2012.

"Where we're at right now is Brian (Wilson)'s written some songs, I've written some songs (and) we're talking very seriously about getting together and co-writing and doing some new music together," Love tells Billboard.com. "He's been doing his own touring, we've been doing ours and so we haven't really been able to lock into that, but it looks like this fall we will. It just makes a lot of sense with a milestone such as 50 years to get together and do something."

Love says he's confident he and Wilson, his cousin, are "still creative musically and lyrically...We really are the originators of the group and the sounds that were hits and all that. We still love music and we're still capable of recording and writing, so there's every possibility that, God willing, we'll be able to do some special things together."

And, Love adds, he has some special achievements in mind, too. "It's already in the Guinness Book of World Records; between 'Good Vibrations' and 'Kokomo' it was 22 years between No. 1 records," Love notes. "Can you imagine if we got a No. 1 record in 2012? Oh, that would be something."

If Love and company are successful, it will be the first album of new Beach recordings since the country-flavored "Stars and Stripes Vol. 1" in 1996. But Love is confident it won't sound foreign to most fans.

"It depends on what tempo and what the subject matter is, but I think it's going to sound a lot like what you might have heard from the Beach Boys," he says. "The harmonies will be there, and I think there will be a lot of emotion and a lot of people relating to the fact that here's these guys who have been doing this for half a century. Holy cow! I think it will mean a lot to our older fans, and we're not going to lose sight of the fact that there's many millions of people who have come along since we started. I think it should be celebration and...a party as well."

Love adds that "other things" are being talked about to commemorate the group's golden anniversary, including a possible live performance -- or more -- that would also feature continuing Beach Boy Bruce Johnston and former member Al Jardine. "I think that there's definitely more than a possibility that will happen," Love says, "but to what degree I don't know. It's a little early to say, but I definitely think it would be more than worthwhile. It would be really special to commemorate that milestone with some personal appearances."

Also on the Beach Boys' docket, meanwhile, is the release later this year of "The SMiLE Sessions," a two-disc compendium of the group's famously aborted, highly experimental album recorded after "Pet Sounds" in 1966-67. Some tracks form the sessions surfaced on subsequent releases, but Love is looking forward to putting out the songs in their original context.

"It was weird," recalls Love, who has memories of "laying on our backs and singing up at the microphone and other just crazy things. It's been shelved for so long and fragments have come up, like the song 'Surf's Up' or 'Heroes and Villains,' so it's kind of cool that it's coming out now in more of it's original form. I think when you hear some of the tracks you're going to say, 'Wow, that's pretty far-out' or pretty incredible. The group was intact 100 percent, so there's really some incredible performances on that album."

ANF

Reaction score

Brian's been on a roll lately so it would be interesting to hear NEW Beach Boys music. I am kinda surprised to hear this after all those years of fighting between he and Mike Love. I do wonder how new music by them would sound, especially since most everyone figured they had finished with Carl Wilson's death and the splintering into two separate bands with Mike and Al Jardine respectively, as well as Brian's solo career.

silverstar

Reaction score
"Back in the USSR ".. a brilliant spoof of the Beach Boys
and really a compliment to them that the Beats should write a song about them

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online