Beach Boys (Official Thread)

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
3074407_640px.jpg

(left to right): Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Brian Wilson

Beach Boys Official Website
Brian Wilson Official Website
The Beach Boys Touring Band Website

Studio Discography:

1962 Surfin' Safari
1963 Surfin' USA
1963 Surfer Girl
1963 Little Deuce Coupe
1964 Shut Down Volume 2
1964 All Summer Long
1964 The Beach Boys' Christmas Album
1965 The Beach Boys Today!
1965 Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
1965 Beach Boys' Party!
1966 Pet Sounds
1967 Smiley Smile
1967 Wild Honey
1968 Friends
1969 20/20
1970 Sunflower
1971 Surf's Up
1972 Carl and the Passions – "So Tough"
1973 Holland
1976 15 Big Ones
1977 Love You
1978 M.I.U. Album
1979 L.A. (Light Album)
1980 Keepin' the Summer Alive
1985 The Beach Boys
1989 Still Cruisin'
1992 Summer in Paradise
1996 Stars and Stripes Vol. 1

If this thread has already been started, pls forgive me:).
This lousy cold weather is making me think of Hawaii, Cali and the Gold Coast in Australia (Surfer's Paradise too)!!! So is YOUR surf up??! Let's talk Beach Boys shall we?!!!!!

The Beach Boys are an American rock band, formed in 1961, who gained popularity for their close vocal harmonies and lyrics reflecting a Southern California youth culture of cars, surfing, and romance. Brian Wilson's growing creative ambitions later transformed them into a more artistically innovative group that earned critical praise and influenced many later musicians.[1]

The group was initially composed of singer-musician-composer Brian Wilson, his brothers, Carl and Dennis, their cousin Mike Love, and friend Al Jardine. This core quintet was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Class of 1988.

The Beach Boys have often been called "America's Band",[2][3][4] and Allmusic.com has stated that "the band's unerring ability... made them America's first, best rock band."[1] The group has had thirty-six U.S. Top 40 hits (the most of any U.S. rock band) and fifty-six Hot 100 hits, including four number one singles.[1] Rolling Stone magazine listed The Beach Boys as number 12 in the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.[5] According to Billboard, in terms of singles and album sales, The Beach Boys are the No. 1-selling American band of all time.[6]

Many changes in both musical styles and personnel have occurred during their career, notably because of Brian Wilson's mental illness and recreational drug use (leading to his eventual withdrawal from the group) and the deaths of Dennis and Carl Wilson in 1983 and 1998, respectively. Extensive legal battles between members of the group have also played their part. After the death of Carl Wilson, founding member Al Jardine was ousted by fellow-founding member Mike Love. Currently, the surviving members of The Beach Boys continue to tour in three separate bands - "The Beach Boys Band" with Love, Bruce Johnston, and a rotation of backing musicians; Al Jardine's "Endless Summer Band" with Jardine, his sons, and several former Beach Boys backup musicians; and Brian Wilson with a 10-piece band including members of The Wondermints and longtime Beach Boys backup guitarist/singer Jeff Foskett.[7] Love retained the rights to the name "The Beach Boys" after a legal dispute.[4]

Last edited by a moderator:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Surf's up!

You know what's crazy! You are the first person here to do a Beach Boys thread! Congratulations and we needed one too! :grinthumb I like this group and I think they deserve there comparisons to being in league with The Beatles! They mastered harmonies like no other! :grinthumb My favorites are:

Don't Worry Baby

Wouldn't It Be Nice

God Only Knows

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

I think sometimes, the BB are taken for granted.....

Last edited by a moderator:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

Nothing can compare to sibling harmonies. I own almost everything the Beachboys ever recorded. I was a big fan when they were big and still love them now.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Here's my favorite Surf album of all time.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Re: Official Beach Boys Thread

Don't even get me started on the Beach Boys. I've said in numerous places, here and on other forums, that I think Brian Wilson is a musical genius. I think he and the band get short-shrift because most of their lyric content was about teen passions (and later the environment). It would be like the Beatles had never progressed to the Revolver era in terms of content.

Regarding their vocals, I don't know how many have heard the "vocals only" version of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" that's out there. I have it on their Perfect Harmony CD, but I think it shows up other places in the catalog, too. Anyway, here's one someone posted on YouTube. Hearing these vocal lines out there naked will make you appreciate Wilson's arranging talents (and the guys' singing, too) all the more:

Man, that just gives me chills. :D

And Surf's Up (both song and album) are grossly underrated, IMO. Leonard Bernstein called the song "beautiful in its obscurity" and the future of popular music.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

For me the Beach Boys are at there best,,,when you are at the beach. I'm not being facetious here, I lived by the ocean for 7 years and we would go to Kye Bay which is all sand and shallow so the water would warm up to a comfortable temperature then we would end up huddled around a bonfire when it got dark and drink a few pops play some Beach Boys. It is just a perfect fit, and I will never be able to separate listening to Endless Summer and reliving those moments with my teenage friends.

I have posted my personal favorite and Pet Sounds would be my 2nd, it's rare for me to choose a compilation over a regular album but there it is.

Macca

Member #9, #9, #9, #9...
Reaction score

The Beach Boys are coming to my town in July! I'm like 90% sure I'll be going!!! Love the music and the sound of those guys! Brian's my favorite, wish I could see him with them, but Mike is cool too :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online