Bands that may have...

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Sold out.

The recent Fleetwood Mac thread got me onto this.
A lot of the original FM fans were disgusted by the Lindsey Stevie version.
Hell a lot were not good with Bob Welch.

I'd also say BOC may be accused of selling out to follow fashion.
For true fans the first 3, the black and white albums are the purest expression and most of what came after is a sell out. I tend to look at it as BOC 1.0 and BOC 2.0 and then BOC WTF.0 and then on to BOC 3.0.

then this? Aptly titled. Opinions vary of course.

And then

BTW I'm not being critical of any bands.
A lot of people will flame their bands when they follow trends to try to be popular.
But everybody has mouths to feed.
And I'm sure that as employees of record companies they do need to try to sell.
That's what they are hired for.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If anything bands who only try to cater to what certain audiences want rather than what they want have kinda sold out although its a term that's overused when bands simply change their sound.

Even if that was the case I agree with what you said that they do still have mouths to feed and need the money.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I tend to look at it as BOC 1.0 and BOC 2.0 and then BOC WTF.0 and then on to BOC 3.0.

then this? Aptly titled. Opinions vary of course.

"BOC WTF.0" :lmao:

Never was a goofy label as appropriate as this one. Fuk that song is brutal. I honestly don't even remember that song. I LOVE Godzilla off of that album (I know some die-hards will use the old "sell out" comment when that song comes up) and a couple of other tracks, but jfc... I do NOT remember Going Through the Motions. Thanks, going to have pop-artist BOC in my head for the next couple of hours now.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
"BOC WTF.0" :lmao:

Never was a goofy label as appropriate as this one. Fuk that song is brutal. I honestly don't even remember that song. I LOVE Godzilla off of that album (I know some die-hards will use the old "sell out" comment when that song comes up) and a couple of other tracks, but jfc... I do NOT remember Going Through the Motions. Thanks, going to have pop-artist BOC in my head for the next couple of hours now.

Yeah they were crucified by the success of Reaper.
You could just feel that the record company was wanting another Reaper from them as the market went to Phil Collins songs.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
If anything bands who only try to cater to what certain audiences want rather than what they want have kinda sold out although its a term that's overused when bands simply change their sound.

Even if that was the case I agree with what you said that they do still have mouths to feed and need the money.

Well that's the point.
I believe they cater to what the record company wants.
And if you are tasked with making a hit then what are they going to do?
Probably start out trying to be true to "their sound" but when that doesn't work because what's popular has changed they are gonna follow trends.
Usually to horrible ends.

This is one area where the new landscape of self produced/self promoted online music could actually be an improvement.
People can go off into their own little corners of the market and enjoy the music they like.
And bands can survive on their audience. Because a record company isn't wanting to suck millions of dollars off of them. And the room for different bands and styles is much larger.
It's infinite. The old way bands fought for slots of radio air play and places in the record store shelves. And if you weren't gonna make the company millions the record company wouldn't waste a slot on you.

The difficult thing today is building the audience. That was what the old system was good at. Radio play and promotion. Everybody was aware of whatever big new thing came along at the same time.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online