Bands or musicians who strayed far from their roots

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Well, they say laughter is the best medicine. I agree that the Beatles were very experimental to the end, as on Abbey Road. But, Revolution No. 9 sounds like a number of tapes put together without any planning or thought (by Yoko Ono?). To me, it is the only bad track with The Beatles name attached.

I remember King Crimson playing Red and/or Larks Tongues live, but it was to no avail as the crowd spent the whole evening fruitlessly calling for 21st Century Schizoid Man. Robert Fripp sat on a bar stool throughout, although he nearly fell off at one point, and made funny saluting gestures to the crowd. This was just showing contempt for the fans, otherwise why not play under the name Fripp and Friends?
Sounds like a misinformed crowd or the first tour of the new band. Since the first tour the crowds loved it all. Yeah it's a bit lame but Fripp been sitting down for years heck last tour you could only see him if you were in the first few rows.

Khor I'm not your normal cup of tea, I love strange lineup of musicians I could careless if it ruins the rhythm. Great bands with two drummers- dead, allman brothers, frank Zappa, genesis, king crimson since those first three albums of
the 80s.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Of those bands you mentioned only the Allman Brothers and King Crimson (Jamie Muir days) really did anything of note with two drummers. And these things could have been done with one drummer without hurting any of the songs.

To each his own and all that but can you really say that any song was ever inhanced by having two bass players (or drummers and keyboard players for that matter)?

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Of those bands you mentioned only the Allman Brothers and King Crimson (Jamie Muir days) really did anything of note with two drummers. And these things could have been done with one drummer without hurting any of the songs.

To each his own and all that but can you really say that any song was ever inhanced by having two bass players (or drummers and keyboard players for that matter)?

really but its okay for two guitarist? How about 10 guitarists? guess you hate Robert Fripp and the League of Crafty Guitarists?

Completely disagree with your take on the Allman Brothers I've seen them with just one drummer its not the same.

I love classical music so maybe that is why extra musicians enhance the sound in my eyes. There are plenty of pieces written for 2 of just about any instrument. Those pieces sound hollow when only on is playing them.
so should an orchestra have only one violin or one cello player? yeah the others don't add an enhancement to the overall sound?
How about a marching band? only one drummer? for real?

two cellos?

two keyboard players?

can't find the one with four guitarists but I love these guys

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I love massive pieces and intimate 3 piece power trios myself AK.

I would add the "Doobie Brothers" and "Charlie Daniels Band" to those that make excellent use of two drummers.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Sounds like a misinformed crowd or the first tour of the new band. Since the first tour the crowds loved it all. Yeah it's a bit lame but Fripp been sitting down for years heck last tour you could only see him if you were in the first few rows.

It was the first tour and expectations were very high.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Carlos Santana. His guitar playing remained exemplary, but, from the Supernatural album onwards, in the words of CR magazine, he became a guest musician on his own albums.

Budgie tried a West Coast sound in an attempt to break into the American market.

Judus Priest, once they had exhausted the Atkins material, became a different band.

Rush moved away from their roots as Led Zep soundalikes and, again, from their best style (2112, Kings, Hemispheres).

Hawkwind moved away from their roots as a heavy space rock band, after Lemmy's departure. They returned periodically.

Black Sabbath had me worried when they began using overdubs on the guitar, then Ronnie James Dio joined.

Jethro Tull moved away from the folk inspired heavy rock on JTull.com, having already moved away from the earlier blues rock. I read a review where the writer described them as being like his dad dancing at a wedding.

Groundhogs tried two guitars for a while, which seemed odd because Tony McPhee was like two players rolled into one anyway, but it was good.

Deep Purple became heavy funk for a while on Come Taste the Band, and it was pretty good. Ian Gillan tried jazz rock on Clear Air Turbulence, but never returned to that style to my knowledge.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Quite a list Martin.

I think Rush is a timeless band, and their Zenith for me will always be "Moving Pictures" and "Signals". They made a conscious effort to return to their harder rock style years ago and judging from the success of their tours they are loved by their old fans and new arrivals as well.

Jethro Tull...one of my favorite all time rock bands period, but even a die hard like myself has to admit that their work up to and including "Stormwatch" is their best. I mean I don't mind them branching out and embracing world music, Ian and company have always used a plethora of old instruments in their music over the years and his voice is simply not nearly as good as it used to be. He is doing whatever he can to keep playing/touring/enjoying music as along as possible. I will be happy to pick up TAAB 2 when it's available, should be this week according to Nolo.:D

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
^ A friend and I once saw Ian Anderson getting off a train at Marylebone Station, as we were waiting to get on the same train, and he was dressed exactly as on the cover of the Songs From the Wood album. He seemed to be in a hurry and headed off across the station to the entrance-way.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree Big Ears I think Sabbath got much better once Dio got on board.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaldoFrey

Members online